Two questons

I have two questions. How do you throw a cutter? and How do increase volocity?

kids around here all throw cutfastballs. not becuse they want to but because they dont know how to pronate their hand so that it spins 12-6. grip your 4-seam fastball and put it straight in front of you. you should see the back of your hand. now supinate your wrist about 45degrees from that angle. that’s how you want to hold the ball when you throw a cut fastball. now you either throw it just like that or help it by putting more pressure with your middle finger. remember that cutter isn’t like a curveball and you will need time to get it consistent and good enough for a game.

velocity depends on a lot of things, you might want to look for some mechanics flaws you have or just playing catch a lot.

I would watch video or live pro ball to find flaws.A Chris Carpenter type delivery is generic and a good one to study.Velocity will be hidden in a lot of mechanical motions,and is difficult to pin down.Chris seems to “hit the spots” in his delivery.–Lots of guys have great deliveries,but I pick him because his delivery is simple and textbook.There is no wasted movement in a pitch,so look at everything.JUST MY OPINION!

I think you meant “supinate” - not “pronate”.

I think what you’re describing is a slider. A slider has half the supination of a curve ball. A cutter has half the supination of a slider so more velocity and less break.

I think you meant “supinate” - not “pronate”.

I think what you’re describing is a slider. A slider has half the supination of a curve ball. A cutter has half the supination of a slider so more velocity and less break.[/quote]

i meant pronate since i’m talking about a 12-6 fastball most young pitchers dont pronate when they throw and that leaves the ball to a slider/cutter type of spin which is an other way to say they cut the ball.

a slider and a cutter are basically the same pitch at a different degree. some people throw sliders they call cutter some people throw cutter they call slider. the difference is about 3 or 4 mph.

Tend to agree w/ 4pie on this. JMO, but very few people throw a cutter with just finger pressure. Most are just throwing a hard slider with less wrist action as Roger noted, Mariano included.

I saw a video about how mariano threw the cutter. He basically said its a 4 seam fastball and you out your fingers angledtoward the right side of the ball like how you hole a curveball and then throw.

The clip I saw of him throwing it looked like he was twisting the wrist a bit.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

You lost me. I’ve never heard of a 12-6 fastball - only a 12-6 curveball. And I’ve never heard of anyone pronating to throw a 12-6 pitch. Pronating is used to throw change-ups and screwballs but those pitches aren’t normally 12-6.

You lost me. I’ve never heard of a 12-6 fastball - only a 12-6 curveball. And I’ve never heard of anyone pronating to throw a 12-6 pitch. Pronating is used to throw change-ups and screwballs but those pitches aren’t normally 12-6.[/quote]

i’m talking about a striaght fastball 6-12 which you can’t achive if you don’t pronate your wrist. a lot of kids don’t use their wirst and end up throwing pitches that spins like the so called gyroball. that’s why some coaches tell the kids to show the ball to centerfield because they want to reduce that spiral rotation but the real thing is to pronate the forearm

Cutter and Slider the same pitch? I don’t freaky think so! Cutter will stay on the same plane and has back spin and a more gradual break. The Slider will dip (a little), but will have a very decisive yank to it. It should spin like a bullet.

Does anyone have any pics of what the grip looks like?