Two balls taped together

Steve,

Today Jon and I saw a young man working with two baseballs taped together to work on his curve ball. He said he had used the tennis ball can but preferred this. I thought about the advantage of no weight in the can but didn’t get a chance to ask him about that. Also, he was doing the tossing with both feet flat and not moving. Is this right?

I have been taught both witht he can and the 2 balls taped. The feet stationary the coaches at the camp told us will help us learn to come more over the top of the curve and top get good snap on the curve. I hope I was of some assistance good luck its a great drill.

I remember how Vic Raschi, a member of the Yankees’ legendary Big Three rotation, used to work with two regulation baseballs taped together. It was as much to strengthen his grip as it was to fine-tune his pitches. He didn’t have an “Aunt Susie”, which was what they called a curve ball then—but he didn’t need it. He had an overpowering fast ball, an even deadlier slider, and a very good changeup, and I will never forget the first game of the 1950 World Series in which he pitched a 1-0, two-hit shutout and the poor Phillies put on a beautiful demonstration of how not to hit him. Yes indeed, the two baseballs taped together is a very useful tool. :slight_smile:

One good way to learn off-speed pitches and breaking balls is to do it on your knees.
It’s like this:
Put both of your knees on the ground in the position that they would be after you rotated them in your pitching delivery.
Your hips should be “open”.
Then, throw the ball how you would while pitching.
Keep your shoulders back until you are throwing the ball.
This drill helps with delayed shoulder rotation and you can throw a whole bunch more pitches than usual because you are not putting the force of your whole body into it.
P.S. You do this drill on flat ground.