Tweaking My Delivery

Okay I don’t know how well this idea will be received by you guys.

I was watching Prime 9 “Team of the 60’s” earlier on MLB Network. The pitcher (his name just slipped my mind) had a delivery where every motion he made would basically obstruct the view of the ball and the throwing hand.

I was thinking maybe I need a video to explain what I mean but here’s my explanation in text.

As I go through my normal delivery instead of tucking my glove so early why not keep the glove up in front of my throwing side until release and make the ball harder to pick up?

I don’t know if this would work for some type of power pitcher or anything like that because it may screw up your balance and timing but I was thinking, as a knuckleballer it would be a way to keep a batter from picking up whether my fingers are curled or not on the ball when I bring my throwing arm through, a way to disguise my non-knuck pitches so that my fastball doesn’t get walloped to the moon when I really need a strike.

I don’t know, just a thought any opinions? Comments? Questions?

Good morning, Pustulio! And again, welcome to the LTP Hall of Fame.
What you’re talking about is something I used to do—concealing my grip until the last possible moment. Steady Eddie told me about that move and showed me how to do it, and what made it even more effective in my case was the fact that I threw sidearm. Believe me, nothing discombooberates a hitter worse than not knowing what pitch is coming—or how one throws it, because nobody (except my catcher) knew whether or not I was going to crossfire said pitch. :slight_smile:

Pustulio,

Sounds like you’re describing the NPA’s concepts of “equal and opposite at foot plant” and “hip and shoulder separation and delayed shoulder rotation”. If you can keep the glove out front until foot plant, you will buy yourself the time to delay shoulder rotation. This will (1) help you maximize hip and shoulder separation, (2) keep the ball hidden longer, and (3) let you release closer to home plate. (2) and (3) help increase your deception.

Thanks Roger for the more technical explanation and Zita for the more personal experience explanation.

Glad to know I’m not the only one to think about this. If there’s anymore insight on this feel free to post fellow board members.

Good afternoon, Pustulio, and here’s something that might be of interest to you. I just saw this bulletin on the MLB website. It seems that Eri Yoshida, the Japanese girl who throws a mean sidearm knuckleball, has signed a contract with one of the independent minor league teams and will join them next month. All I have to say is, this is a step in the right direction, and it’s about time! :slight_smile: 8)

yeah I’v heard a lot about her, seen some video of her too.

Only problem I see is that she’s not going to throw the ball without spin consistently enough because her whole back leg drags across the mound and as strange as it sounds things like that can add spin that is not wanted on the knuckleball.