Turn and burn vlo and forearm strain

hey guys i’m 15, 6’1 170 lbs i’ve only been doing light workouts throughout the off season and have been throwing since January but yesterday was the first time we got clocked and only got clocked on our turn and burns. I clocked at 79 which was 5 mph higher than 2nd best on my team and i was wondering about how much faster do you throw in turn and burn compared to pitching off a mound? I’m kind of worried because at the end of last year i was topping out at 77 off the mound and this year i should be throwing harder but i’m not!! Any ideas why?

And i also have another problem i figured id post here instead of making to separate threads. Sometimes after i pitch my pitching arm forearm will be sore and ill have really crap grip strength the next day to the point i use my other arm to open a bottle of water. I as well as a couple doctors and many coaches cannot figure out why this is so i was just wondering if anyone had some input?

Thanks for taking your time to read this,
Gabe

If we saw your pitching mechanics, we might be able to see some hitch in your throwing that would cause excess strain in that area of your arm. A video would help with this.

As for only putting on 2mph during the off season, my question for you would be to ask what were you doing in the off season to build up your strength? Did you have a S&C program for the off season? Have you worked on polishing up your mechanics? Have you begun to throw before the actual season began?

Forearm pain is a common symptom of “flexor tendon” strains and/or UCL strains/rupture. This is real bad for obvious reasons.

[quote=“CSOleson”]If we saw your pitching mechanics, we might be able to see some hitch in your throwing that would cause excess strain in that area of your arm. A video would help with this.

As for only putting on 2mph during the off season, my question for you would be to ask what were you doing in the off season to build up your strength? Did you have a S&C program for the off season? Have you worked on polishing up your mechanics? Have you begun to throw before the actual season began?[/quote]

ill do what i can to get a video up

my mechanics are pretty much perfect at the moment that was my focus all last season and this winter, and i’ve been throwing once a week since January and the last month twice a week…
i wasn’t doing anything serious during the winter just like 50 push-ups, sit-ups and some resistance bands everyday but still thats a lot more than i did last winter…
and i was throwing 77 at the end of last year this year only 79 on turn and burn which is a drill that is supposed to add another 5ish mph on your throw, thats why i’m concerned

and i read up on flexor tendon strains and i dont think its that because i have full range of motion on all my fingers
thanks for the insight though

I wouldn’t place too much emphasis on your velocity during non-pitching drills in trying to determine pitching velocity off a mound. Apples and oranges. Just keep working on your mechanics and s&c, and things will fall into place when you finally get some "real’ readings off the mound. That’s all that matters.

i guess thats all i really can doo :stuck_out_tongue:
thanks steve cool to see you actually giving people personal advice

Fran - How’s that forearm feeling today? Any improvement?

it feels perfectly fine today its usually just the day of after i pitch i feel it, and the next morning/afternoon i dont have much strength in it but now im perfectly fine thanks for asking :slight_smile: