TuffCuff running question?

So I’ve been out of the game for a while and I just got TuffCuff to get back into shape. I’ve read alot of the book already and I have the facilities to do almost all of the exercises, except the sprinting. So my question is, can you substitue the sprinting for some other for of high intensity cardio? like Jumping rope? I live in an apartment complex right in the middle of a relatively large city and doing sprints is not really an option. We have a fitness center which I go to, so weight training and long distance running on a treadmill is easy. Just need a good alternative to sprints. Thanks guys.

Yes - when I was training at the International Performance Institute, they recommended doing sprint work on a treadmill, or using slide board, or using a stair stepper or elliptical. The point is to target the anaerobic system for 7, 15 and 30 seconds in a week, and sprinting isn’t the only to accomplish this – it’s just the easiest because it doesn’t require any equipment, etc.

[qt]The point is to target the anaerobic system for 7, 15 and 30 seconds in a week[/qt]

Hey Steven can you elaborate what you mean by this?

[quote=“McCovey Cove”][qt]The point is to target the anaerobic system for 7, 15 and 30 seconds in a week[/qt]

Hey Steven can you elaborate what you mean by this?[/quote]

Sure … We all know there’s two systems: aerobic (think long runs and distance runners) and anaerobic (think short sprints). As pitchers, we want to focus on those activities that train the anaerobic system because the act of pitching a baseball itself happens in a split second. Just like an Olympic sprinter explodes out of the starting blocks at the start of a race, a pitcher must explode off the rubber 75-100 times a game. He must go from a stationary position to getting his body moving as fast as possible in 1-2 seconds.

Sprints, being anaerobic, help train the anaerobic system. But so do hundreds of other activities. All that’s important is that the activity gets your body from a stationary position to full speed as fast as possible. Rinse. Repeat.

Oh Thanks Steven for the clear up. So youre saying we have to get our sprints 7 second, 15 second and 30 second sprints in each week to keep our anaerobic system up? Would this be enough to keep our stamina up for pitching?