Tuff Cuff ?

for any one who bought Tuff Cuff did your speed increase and how much did it increase

6 to 8 mph … :slight_smile:

Actually, that seriously happened. TUFFCUFF is a mix of essentially four workout programs I did starting the fall of my junior year in college (1999). That off-season, I spent two weeks at the International Performance Institute in Bradenton, Florida, where I got a complete, custom-tailored workout based on my specific needs as a pitcher.

That off-season I went from 88 to 90 mph to 93 to 94 mph – and turned myself into a 12th-round draft pick by the Oakland A’s (2000).

I continued to work the program the summer of 2000 while negotiating my contract with the A’s and pitching for the Eldorado (Ks.) Broncos, hitting 95 mph by the middle of the summer.

A long story short … I returned to college to pitch another season. Was drafted by the Cubs in 2001. Signed. And then combined the Chicago Cubs, Boston Red Sox, St. Louis Cardinals, and IPI off-season workouts to keep everything fresh. (Everything those teams do is 100% in TUFFCUFF.)

I threw 94 to 95 mph consistently in the Cubs organization. I weighed 225 pounds with between 7.6 and 8.4 % body fat (in season, higher in the off-season). Could squat 405 in sets of 6 to 8 reps, right alongside Kyle Farnsworth.

I’m not trying to hype the program. I had excellent mechanics (thanks to Bill Thurston) and an outstanding change up, which contributed to my successes on the mound. But there’s no question if you work the program correctly, you CAN get much more out of your God-given talents.

OK, I’m done bragging :slight_smile:

i just bought the tuffcuff, and im in phase 1 week 1 and i was thinking that the three days arent enough, should i do long distance runs on the off days or just rest and throw? i think it looks lik a pretty good program though

I have another question for Steven Ellis if he’s still reading this thread…

I really enjoyed Tuff Cuff and found it very helpful and informative. I’d like to start following the routines when school starts this fall but I was wondering how much time on average you spent on the workouts? It seems like some of the workouts (especially in Phase 4) would be pretty time consuming, and since I’m going to be a senior in high school I’d like to make them as efficient as possible.

How much time on average would you take to do a day’s workout for each of the different phases of the program?

Steve did you ever ship out my index with any of the books? I figured you didn’t because i doubt they are shipped from your house.

If you didn’t I can give some of these people my index that I made to find the workouts easier.

Mr. Ellis, I’m just curious, but how did you get injured? And I’d like to know what the answer is to samo’s question. Thanks

My injury was an overuse injury. I was a closer in the Cubs organization. Some weeks, I pitched 5 or 6 days in a row – for one inning – to close out a game. By mid-season 2002, after doing this for multiple weeks in a row, I felt my arm start to wear down. My velocity was still pretty good, though, so my coaches didn’t take me seriously when I asked for an extra day off during the week.

I went on the DL with tendinitis at the end of the 2002 season. Had surgery that winter in what was supposed to be nothing more than “cleaning up the shoulder.” Rehabbed all of 2003. My velocity got back up to 92/93 mph by mid-summer in 2003, but my recovery time was more than 2 days. I just didn’t recover quickly after my bullpen sessions. I was stiff. And because I was a closer, this was a problem.

They offered a second surgery … but I retired instead. I wanted to make more money than what I was making in the minor leagues, and I was in the process of getting married. So instead of sticking with pitching, I moved on. Got another, better paying job :slight_smile: Got married. Etc.

[quote=“Samo_292”]I have another question for Steven Ellis if he’s still reading this thread…

I really enjoyed Tuff Cuff and found it very helpful and informative. I’d like to start following the routines when school starts this fall but I was wondering how much time on average you spent on the workouts? It seems like some of the workouts (especially in Phase 4) would be pretty time consuming, and since I’m going to be a senior in high school I’d like to make them as efficient as possible.

How much time on average would you take to do a day’s workout for each of the different phases of the program?[/quote]

90 minutes. I got to the point where it didn’t take much longer than that to complete the program for that particular day. But if you feel you need to cut it all back to 60 minutes, do it. What’s important isn’t the amount of time you spend in the weight room, but rather that you do something to help improve your explosiveness, strength, flexibility, etc. You’ll still get the benefits of the program in Phase 4, even if you cut out some of the exercises due to time.

[quote=“Bower”]Steve did you ever ship out my index with any of the books? I figured you didn’t because i doubt they are shipped from your house.

If you didn’t I can give some of these people my index that I made to find the workouts easier.[/quote]

Absolutely. Feel free to give it to those who’ve purchased the program, as I feel it’s a SUPER help! It’ll be avail in future TUFFCUFF editions, in the back of the manual.

I wouldn’t do long distance runs, but you could do an extra day of workouts. Simply combine the workouts from each of the days that week. And, yes, keep throwing.

If you’re going to implement additional running, I’d aim for sprintwork. If you’ve just completed a long-spring day, do shorter sprints … or vice versa.

OK thanks Steve. Bower---- what is that index thing your talking about, it’s for tuffcuff?

I use to do a lot of core exercises, maybe like 10 of about 35 to choose from, and most of them utilized the lower back muscles and glutes, but is that not necessary in the core section of tuffcuff, because of the other sections(e.g. plyometrics, functional strength)? It seems like the tuffcuff core section is mainly abdominals.

I made an index for TuffCuff to find workouts easier if you give me your E-Mail I will sent it to you. It’s just so when your going through each day instead of skimming through you can look it up and find the page number.

my email is zkfirebird@aol.com

Done.

Is the TuffCuff available right now? Or is it on back order?

Is this tuff cuff program workouts that you would have to do in a gym? Also I know it’s(tuff cuff) serious but if i start this in fall when school begins again and stay on the program until spring ball starts in feb. would that have been enough working out to really gain anything?

this program TUFF CUFF is all year round you even workout in season. So yes you would gain Alot.

Oh well i figured that I just was wondering if I would be able to gain anything by then…

it will make you more explosive by then and that in return might be able to make you throw hard.