Tuff Cuff Program Phases Question

My name is Will, I am approaching 27 yo (bday is end of this month). Recently decided to try to get back into baseball after about a 10 year hiatus. Last played competitive traveling baseball in my high school days. Went to a tryout for the local competitive men’s league a couple weekends ago. Didn’t get “drafted” – not very surprised since I only practiced one month prior. My main position when I played competitively was pitcher, and really enjoyed it. Probably threw high 70s/low 80s with a nice curveball. I haven’t tracked my current speed but am willing to bet it’s around 60 (if that).

After some research I decided to purchase Tuff Cuff and use it to get back to a decent competitive pitching level and hopefully make a team next year. I have about 11.5 months to train. My main question is the programs look to be built with an “in season” portion in mind. I don’t have an in season so in my case should I extend other phases of the program or do something different and start Tuff Cuff later?

I look forward to chatting with you all over the next year and beyond!

Will

When you mentioned " I don’t have an in season ", What exactly are you referring to?

I am not currently on a baseball team so I will not be playing in live baseball games over the next 11.5 months. It appears that the in season phase is meant to accommodate a player that is actively pitching/participating in periodic live games.

Depending on which track (HS, College, Pro) the in season Phase 5 was anywhere from 2-5 months (if memory serves me correct). In my case I was curious if I should be extending the other phases to span the 11.5 months or just pick a track and go with it even if I am not actively playing live baseball.

Hope that help clarify some. Thanks!

Basically, you’ve been away from the game, and pitching, for ten (10) years, and you want to play the game again (pitching) and you only practiced for one month prior to trying out, and now you have a year before you want to start playing the game and pitching again.

The only approach that I would suggest would be to accommodate something that would fit your life style. In other words, how are you physically, health wise, something that would fit the demands of your work, your social commitments, and your demeanor.

Consider these factors in your life:

• Is your physical body healthy enough (physically fit/stamina) to sustain the high heat of summer, sun and similar environmental conditions?
  • Is your health maintained throughout the year? No health issues like asthma, weight loss, poor nutrition habits, abnormal weight loss, prior injuries to shoulders/arms/ etc., heart disease, vision impairments, shortness of breath, over/under weight, and other health related issues?
  • Is your work physically demanding, does it involve considerable stress, an evening or night job?
  • Are you involved in social commitments like volunteering, looking after a family member?
  • Is your personal demeanor such that you can commit to an entire season, be depended on?

This publication has sections in it that you can use, regardless of your situation. The nutrition section is excellent in my opinion, and the workouts can be tailored by you, even for a 27 year old who has a year to prepare for the next season. I assume that you haven’t “worked out” prior to this posting - tailored to baseball and pitching. So, I would suggest going easy to start. See how the high school program fits you. See how you can maintain that level of condition. See how the expectations for a high school player fits your life style(s). Remember, you’ve been away from this environment for 10 years and you have almost a full year to get ready for the next season.

I wouldn’t push yourself beyond the high school program right now. But, there is a benefit here , with the high school program - you’ve been there before. This should be familiar ground to you.

I’ve seen many adult league players who work evenings and nights try to sustain themselves during a hot afternoon on the field and it just doesn’t work. They end up taxing themselves beyond reason and into the season, they end up missing a lot of games.

Pay particular attention to sections on:

• Nutrition
  • Sleep habits.
  • The pace of your workouts … ease into it, monitor yourself constantly. Don’t be aggressive here.
  • Keep the charts active… KEEP THE CHARTS ACTIVE.
  • Address these sections that I suggested with the serious demeanor that they deserve.

Don’t be fooled that because your 27, the high school section is beneath you or that it’s kid’s stuff. Just be on notice that adult baseball is not about fun and games. These guys out there are out to win. There’s little humor for a guy who can’t hold his own. If you plan to pitch, you’d better be ready to know exactly what you’re doing, and don’t keep eight (8) other guys baking in the sun while you “work things out.”

You’ve got a challenging road ahead of you and I wish you the very best with your baseball experience.

Thank you for the advice. I will keep a log/status in the log section of the forum.

Will

Hey- Welcome to the forum. I’d start with Phase 1, Week 5 in TUFFCUFF and start building from there. You’ll want to throw 3-4 times per week, working up to 5-6 times per week with 1-2 bullpens by late July/August. That’ll give you two months to build a great foundation. Happy to continue to support your efforts–just email me for a quicker reply.