Tucked Thumb vs Straight

I have seen some pitchers tuck their thumbs under the ball, bent, so that the ball essentially rests on the top of the thumb or knuckle. Others have their thumb straight out, like me. I have also heard of players that do a mixture of both.

My question is what is the point of tucking the thumb? Does it add anything to the pitch or is it just comfort level? Why would someone throw it tucked on a certain pitch vs the next without?

It’s generally just a matter of what’s comfortable for the pitcher. The whole point is that the thumb rests on the bottom for support—generally on one seam; the rest is individual preference. The one exception, I think, would be for the circle-change where the thumb and the index finger form the “OK” sign on one side of the ball. 8)

[quote=“v1cd3”]I have seen some pitchers tuck their thumbs under the ball, bent, so that the ball essentially rests on the top of the thumb or knuckle. Others have their thumb straight out, like me. I have also heard of players that do a mixture of both.
My question is what is the point of tucking the thumb? Does it add anything to the pitch or is it just comfort level? Why would someone throw it tucked on a certain pitch vs the next without?[/quote]

Interesting questions.
I think (like what Zita said) the tucking of the thumb is really just a matter of what the pitcher is comfortable with. It might also be something where some pitchers have more control of the ball with their thumb tucked under the ball or their thumb straight out. Some pitchers might be able to control their pitches better or get better movement depending on which way they place their thumb. It may feel uncomfortable for a pitcher to hold his thumb in a certain way when gripping the baseball.