Tubing/band products

Does anyone have any recommendations or preferences on tubing/band products? The two products I am consider for my 11-year old nephew are the Jaeger (J) bands vs. ArmStrong Basix. Also, does anyone have any workout programs for pitchers with these products? Thanks in advance.

Here you’ll find a tubing workout:

www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_workouts.htm

I’d recommend getting Thera-Band tubing. They’re the company that were the first to make “tubing” and most major league and NCAA college teams use it.

www.thera-band.com

Steve,
That’s not accurate. UCSB uses the Jaeger bands and so did UCLA while Gary Adams was there. I don’t know what UCLA uses now under Savage. Adams was a coach who protected his pitcher’s arms which was one of the main reasons he sent so many players to the pros without ever winning the college world series.

Both are useful products. The Jaeger bands are more convenient to use for the Jobe type exercises and the therabands are more adaptable to a variety of exercises. Both options have their strong points.

I went to a medical supply store and bought a box of surgical tubing (50’ I think). Then I went to Home Depot and bought some carabiner clips (99cents ea), small zip ties, foam pipe insulation. I cut the tubing into 3’-4’ pieces and the pipe insulation into 4" pieces. I tied a carabiner clip to one end of each piece of tubing. I threaded the other end of each piece of tubing through a piece of insulation as a handle and tied a loop. I used zip ties to secure the loose tail from each knot to keep the knots from coming undone.

I spent about $50 for all of the materials and produced enought tubing set-ups for each of our 12 kids to have one. Or, we can have about 4 stations with 3 tubes each attached to the chain link fence - 1 down low, 1 at shoulder height, and 1 up high. The carabiner clips make it easy to attach and detach to/from a chain link fence.

The surgical tubing comes in red, green and blue with each color representing a different amount of resistance.

That’s a great idea, Roger. What color band do you use for your players?

In the Chicago Cubs organization we used the blue and green for various exercises, but younger players might be well to start off with red, which I believe provides the least amount of resistance. Is that what you’ve found Roger?

Here’s a link which explains the various resistences for Thera-bands:

http://www.thera-band.com/resistive.html

If you want Jaeger’s stuff:

[quote=“Steven Ellis”]That’s a great idea, Roger. What color band do you use for your players?

In the Chicago Cubs organization we used the blue and green for various exercises, but younger players might be well to start off with red, which I believe provides the least amount of resistance. Is that what you’ve found Roger?[/quote]

I started this with 11 and 12 year olds. I went with the red (lightest) tubing due to the kids’ young age and due to the fact that tubing work is something most young kids have never done.

If its any help i started with the green with i was 14 and stayed with green up until college where I am now using the blue band. Also i want to add that at my university the pitchers have the choice of in the weight room using either machines, free weights, or these special bands. I am not sure of the name of them but you can use them for any excercise and they are a big help especially while your in season.