Tryouts-bitterness

So at the end of this years tryouts i feel as though im no better then last years tryouts. Well actually this year left a much worse feeling.Last year i didnt make the squad because i wasnt good enough at that point. That i can live with. This year i didnt make the team because since there is 6 pitchers on the Var squad JV is the only suitable choice for me. And i was hearing nothing but praises from the Var coach telling me how much i have improved and how much heart i play with. I beleive he said i was playing with more heart than anyone else on his team. It got to a point where i trully beleived that i had made the team. Var players seem to think im more than good enough and they seemed to respect me alot more as a ballplayer. But when squad cuts came around i didnt make the team. I go ask why and the only reason he can come up with is since i probably wont make Var next year because all the players this year are juniors so the lineup will be filled Me being on JV would be a waist of space where they could develope up and coming freshmen to take the place of the current “superstars” of the var squad.

SO once again i have to use this as a building year. I currently throw 75-ish if im in perfect condition and i kind of hope to throw Mid to upper 80’s by next year. I just want to know if it is possible. because if i can develope a fast fastball with the movement i put on it my existence will be undeniable. They wouldnt be able to ignore me anymore. I wouldnt only be able to throw harder then most of their var pitchers. I would be more dangerous because it would be an 85+ sinker fastball with a great splitter to polish it off.

So is it possible to hit 85+ by next year?

[quote=“GottyJ”]So at the end of this years tryouts i feel as though im no better then last years tryouts. Well actually this year left a much worse feeling.Last year i didnt make the squad because i wasnt good enough at that point. That i can live with. This year i didnt make the team because since there is 6 pitchers on the Var squad JV is the only suitable choice for me. And i was hearing nothing but praises from the Var coach telling me how much i have improved and how much heart i play with. I beleive he said i was playing with more heart than anyone else on his team. It got to a point where i trully beleived that i had made the team. Var players seem to think im more than good enough and they seemed to respect me alot more as a ballplayer. But when squad cuts came around i didnt make the team. I go ask why and the only reason he can come up with is since i probably wont make Var next year because all the players this year are juniors so the lineup will be filled Me being on JV would be a waist of space where they could develope up and coming freshmen to take the place of the current “superstars” of the var squad.

SO once again i have to use this as a building year. I currently throw 75-ish if im in perfect condition and i kind of hope to throw Mid to upper 80’s by next year. I just want to know if it is possible. because if i can develope a fast fastball with the movement i put on it my existence will be undeniable. They wouldnt be able to ignore me anymore. I wouldnt only be able to throw harder then most of their var pitchers. I would be more dangerous because it would be an 85+ sinker fastball with a great splitter to polish it off.

So is it possible to hit 85+ by next year?[/quote]its all up to you…if u think u can hit 85 by next year, u can, but the harder u work, the harder u will throw, so never give up or think u cant do it, i think u could…

Its totally possible, at the beginning of my freshmen year in college I was only hitting 79 mph. So i worked my ass off for the next year and when it came baseball season I was hitting 86 consistently. Its been about 7 months since then and Im starting to crack 90. So it is definitely possible. You are as good as you wanna be. And don’t let anybody you’re not good enough. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

Gotty, my cap is tipped to you!
This kind of desired can’t be denied. Now that doesn’t mean you’ll make this team, but that really doesn’t make any difference in the big scheme of things. The reason it doesn’t is because your attitude will obviously overcome whatever obsticle is thrown in your path. Smile and wave as you pass this situation and move to your next. As you leave it behind, do just that, don’t hold any bitterness. I don’t think you will, I don’t see any blame or excuse within your post. You can’t control others, you just have charge of your own future. Based on what I’ve seen from your desire and attitude, you have a great outlook for a successful future.
As to your question, I think you can increase your speed, to what point is determined by how you approach it. I would recommend you devise a plan, including an assessment of your mechanics and a conditioning/strength program. As your plan moves toward your goal, adjust as you find necessary…(Don’t forget a proper diet, it means something).
We’ll be seeing more from you young man and it will be a pleasure to see you succeed. :smiley:

Have you ever heard of Albert Pujols scouting report?He was not supposed to make the switch to wood bats. They thought his power was due to the aluminum bats!The scout is now working for Wal-Mart.My point is…the coaches are only high school level coaches,and may not have the skill in assesing talent they need.Great heart shall not be denied.Keep your attitude positive.Tell your coach that you will see him next year.Be upbeat and look him in the eye when you see him from now till then.Why didn’t you try for a position?Can you hit?Apparently there are other aspects of the game that you are lacking in.If you were a good outfielder that bats well,AND you can pitch,you are much more valuable to the TEAM.If you made the team,the situation would arise for you to prove yourself,but now you are on the outside looking in.Not being negative,really,just pointing out the obvious.Bat.Bat.Bat. Nothing gets you on the team like your bat.You will be difficult to cut if you crush the ball,or make good contact.By all means strive to improve your pitching,but go to battle with your bat,son.OPINION ONLY.BEST OF LUCK.

Gotty,
I know it sounds stupid, but it may be good that you didn’t make the team this time around. You can take not making the team in two ways. A) You can be bitter and think the coaches made a mistake, and you may not get any better. B) You could use that as fuel. That is what I would do. All your fiends know you are good enough, so I’m sure you are. I would prove the coaches wrong and dominate the JV guys. When your coaches see that, you could move up do to an injury, someone on acedimic probation, or toward the end of the season when they add a couple JV guys. I can gurantee you that a good coach will bring you up to Varsity.
If you work hard enough, gaining 10 mph is very possible. If you want it bad enough, it will happen. I am not a very naturally talented player, but I worked my butt off for the skills I have. I never pitched an inning in high school because my coaches didn’t think I threw propper and I was too short. That fueled me, and I tried out for Georgia Southern University ( a Division 1 AA school). I made the team as a middle infielder, but after my first year I tried pitching. My coach thought I had a descent arm and let me. I started throwing around 78-80, but I had horrible mechanics. He worked with me on it for about a month, and I threw around 87-89 at the beginning of the season.
-I am now serving in Iraq, and I use lifes experiences to fuel me. I have been in quite a few really bad positions, but I let peoples negative comments and bad situations motivate me. I haven’t let anyone get the best of me yet, and its not about to happen.
-I will be back home sometime between June and November of this year, and I will be playing Pro baseball somewhere at some level. If anyone doesn’t see it happening, I could always use more fuel.
-Long story short, Gotty use not making the team as fuel, and let me know how that 85 MPH fastball is doing on the Varsity team.

Mark
Protect The Innocent
Punish The Deserving

Right,Mark.Positive fuel.Keep pluggin’ and let us know how it goes.I hope you didn’t take what I said the wrong way about other skills,but coaches love batting.It’s hard to make a living throwing .300 strikes to balls—Mastery at the plate will make you un-cuttable and is necessary to get anywhere in this sport.

I love all the input and thats everything ive planned to do…work hard and come back next year even better then this year.

Thanks for the support

haha as for this. We started “conditioning” about 3 months before the tryouts and i hit against all of their precious Varisty pitchers.For me someone who hasnt made the team 2 years in a row , i rocked those var pitchers.in all lets say i had around 30 ab’s against them and i can only recall being struck out twice. And i rocked one of the var pitchers who’s also on a team called the hitters…theyre supposed to be the best players of racine or something like that.I mean i rocked him when every other batter (including var hitters) couldnt touch him. He had 5 k’s before he got to me haha. Those were fun times.Im not a power hitter but i have good instincts for batting and am a good contact hitter.

I agree with the other members here. Don’t give up. Think longterm. It’s tough to do, especially for high-school-age kids, I know – but pitchers physically don’t mature until they’re 26 or 27 years old. So if you’re 16 or 17 now, you’ve still got 10 years until you hit what some experts believe is your “prime.” The question, of course, become – are you willing to do it? I suspect you are. And if you do the work and get your work in, there’s no question opportunities will present themselves to you along the way.

If I were you, and I’ve been there, trust me – I’d “stick it to the man.” Go out there and pitch with a chip on your shoulder every time you get the baseball. Shove it right back at the coach who cut you. It may not produce a tangible result (i.e., you moving up to the varsity squad this season), but if you pitch like that and perform well, you can play this game forever! Really!

We’re all rooting for you.

Gotty, It sounds like you got a good bat. Like Bennysdad said, it may take something added to your pitching to get you on the team. I wouldn’t of made my college team if I couldn’t play 2nd, SS, or had good bat. Especially in high school you have to be multi tooled. I have a lot of friends that changed positions in High School, College, or the Pro level. When I tryout in the States, I’m trying to pitch, but you better believe I will have my bat and infield glove ready if thats what they want. Continue to develop a well rounded game, and you may nock in a couple runs for yourself if the offense is slacking. Everyone gave you great advice, and baseball is a constant learning process. Listen to them all, have confidence, but DON’T BE COCKY. That is something that is easy to do that can mess a guy up. I never talk crap, but I let others do it. I used to love hearing someone say they could rock me. It’s more of that fuel I talked about.

Mark
Protect The Innocent
Punish The Deserving

Its not all about velocity. I watch another JV pitcher yesterday totally dominate with an average fastball, very ordinary curve, but a great circle change. He beat a guy that was really bringing heat, but thats all he had.
The other team tatoo’d the ball after the first time through the order, because all he had was heat.

This is the second guy in a week that won with out a great heater. The first guy had a tremendous curveball and splity,and never threw the same type of fastball twice to the same hitter, 4 seam, 2 seam, no seam all ways changing, nor did he throw it in the same place, but his velocity was average too.

Repeat the mantra Command, Movement, then Velocity.

Ian

the reason im going for more velo now is because i beleive the tools are already set to be great. I have a sinker-ball type fastball and a splitter. If i keep the same movement at 85 mph i would be untouchable

Sorry to break it to you guy, but no one, and I mean no one is untouchable. Get that notion out of your head, and you will have much more success and fun on the mound.

Ian

haha…i didnt mean it like that. Its just a way of expressing how much better i would be