Trying to get hips going sooner but arm is lagging behind?

Ive been trying to start my hips soon when i lift my front leg but now everything goes high and i almost feel out of control because i feel like im moving so fast toward home plate. My coach says it looks like im rushing but couldn’t getting the hips going early be confused as rushing. How can I get my arm to go with the rest of my body?

some coaches think you have to hit a balance point and if you don’t then you are rushing. If you post a video I could tell you if you are rushing.

I think there should be no balance point.
Also not everyones mechaincs need to get the hip going soon as when you lift the leg. I personaly don’t like to do that and i feel if I just explode I can get that forward momentum i need if you look at my FRAME BY FRAME VIDEO OR the other VIDEO on my post you will see i explode good but don’t get the hip going as soon as most.

You might be getting the hips going sooner but you might also be opening up the shoulders early which will cause the arm to drag and your release point to pull back and raise up (resulting in high pitches).

Make sure you maintain good posture and balance and that your shoulders don’t rotate until after the hips have rotated. You might need to pay attention to what your glove arm does as it has the ability to destroy your timing and make it difficult to stay closed.

The mind is a beautiful thing, don’t waste it. Let your mind, with all of its cordination sensors, tell you what to do to get your arm to catch up. As you throw your mind should tell you what the body needs to do so hand/eye coordination are in balance - it is a practice thing.

The exact same thing happened when my son started trying to get his hips moving sooner. One concrete thing that helped was to lengthen his stride which “bought” his arm time to catch up. I would often tell him to use his mind to make adjustments. It is kind of like trying to do a back flip for the first time off of a diving board. The first time you may over rotate. The next time you may under rotate. Maybe the next time you stick it. Use your mind, and adjust.

Another thing we realized was just how “athletic” an explosive delivery really is. My son had a tendency to be a bit lazy with his lead leg and foot which caused him to be “out of sorts” as he landed into foot plant - almost like the feeling of “about to fall down.” As he worked at it, however, he got better - sort of like doing a back flip for the 20th time. Oh yea, always video tape yourself throwing off the mound - learn a lot that way - like whether or not you are opening up your lead shoulder prior to foot plant.

I am so happy you posted this. I try to tell people that there is additional strength and flexibility required to be faster to the plate but I’m not sure many appreciate the significance. It’s doable if you stick with it but it helps if you go into it with the proper expectations.

[quote=“shermanreed”]The mind is a beautiful thing, don’t waste it. Let your mind, with all of its cordination sensors, tell you what to do to get your arm to catch up. As you throw your mind should tell you what the body needs to do so hand/eye coordination are in balance - it is a practice thing.[/quote]Excellent post Sherman!!