Trouble Throwing Slow

Ever time I am warming up just playing light catch or doing drills (ex. throwing to batters for bunt defense), I can never throw correctly. But when I throw hard my accuracy is fine. I feel like I can never find my release point and nothing feels right when I am trying to throw with less velocity. I have tried focusing on releasing out front, trying to forget about it completely, but nothing seems to work. I know it is mostly a mental thing, but I can’t seem to get over it. It usually comes about when I start thinking about it and it all goes down hill from there. You would think throwing slower would help with accuracy but I just can’t seem to hit a target until I’m fully warm and begin throwing harder. Any advice?

the same thing happens to me. i don’t know what it is

maybe we’re so used to throwing hard we forget to throw slow.

I understand completely man, same thing happens to me and just about everybody else I know. Personally I think that when we start throwing harder our body for some reason becomes more insnyc. But I wouldn’t worry about it, especially if you aren’t having any problems when you throw harder

It’s not really that I worry about having problems when I throw harder and actually get on the mound. The main frustration, and embrassment haha, is not being able to play a good game of catch when warming up. I just wish I could throw on target and with the right release point when I’m trying to throw slow.

So you want to throw a changeup.
My pitching coach once told me, a long time ago, that just about any pitch can be turned into a nice changeup, and he demonstrated several such for me. Bearing in mind that you have to throw every pitch you have with the same arm motion and the same arm speed—you don’t want to telegraph any of your pitches—there are various things you can do. You can use a plain old fastball grip but just loosen up on it. You can throw a palm ball, which as the name implies is held with all four fingers on top and the thumb underneath, way back in the palm of the hand (but you don’t want to squeeze the juice out of the ball!). There’s the circle change. You can throw a big old 12-to-6 slow curve, or try a knuckleball which is not what one would call an overpowering pitch. The whole point is to relax, to loosen up on the grip.
Babe Ruth, who knew a lot about such things, once said that a good changeup will cause batters more grief than anything else. He threw a great changeup. There have been many pitchers who have used the changeup to devastating effect—Spud Chandler, Vic Raschi, C.C. Sabathia, to name just three. So, if you want to throw slow pitches, go ahead and work on a good changeup—you’ll be adding a pitch to your arsenal and increasing your effectiveness on the mound. :slight_smile: 8)