Trevor Bauer will not be babied

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1189170/index.htm

thoughts? I’ll share mine once some others have weighed in

Conventional wisdom is not always right. The idea of limiting the amount of work to prevent injuries doesn’t seem to work. Look at Strausburg. His pitch counts were closely monitored and yet he was injured. Interestingly, at the Wolforth coach’s clinic, a minor league pitching instructor said that he was glad his team didn’t get a chance to draft Strauberg as he felt his mechanics would lead to injury within 2 years.

As for not lifting weights, Bauer is echoing Wolforth. When I talked with Wolforth, he said that he doesn’t use weights because he is afraid people will lift without proper supervision and cause injuries. He thought he could achieve his purposes by using weighted balls, med balls and pylometrics.

Timing of this article is great in that Wolforth is in Tulsa this weekend for a clinic at DBAT and I will be attending the clinic and having dinner with him on Saturday. If anyone has any questions for him, put them on this thread. Don’t send me a PM as I keep forgetting to look at it.

I think Bauer’s a bit naive with regard to weightlifting, but otherwise he is spot on. There is no skill in the world you get better at by not doing it. Taking lots of time off and not throwing much is not only causing a drop in performance in amateur pitchers, but also increasing injury rates IMO.

Veteran pitchers in the MLB should take time off in the winters as ASMI points out. This should not apply to developing, relatively mature arms (biological age 14+).

This sentence could NOT be more on point:

I cannot root hard enough for Bauer. Go get 'em.

[quote=“Slewbacca”]Conventional wisdom is not always right. The idea of limiting the amount of work to prevent injuries doesn’t seem to work. Look at Strausburg. His pitch counts were closely monitored and yet he was injured. Interestingly, at the Wolforth coach’s clinic, a minor league pitching instructor said that he was glad his team didn’t get a chance to draft Strauberg as he felt his mechanics would lead to injury within 2 years.

As for not lifting weights, Bauer is echoing Wolforth. When I talked with Wolforth, he said that he doesn’t use weights because he is afraid people will lift without proper supervision and cause injuries. He thought he could achieve his purposes by using weighted balls, med balls and pylometrics.

Timing of this article is great in that Wolforth is in Tulsa this weekend for a clinic at DBAT and I will be attending the clinic and having dinner with him on Saturday. If anyone has any questions for him, put them on this thread. Don’t send me a PM as I keep forgetting to look at it.[/quote]

Slew:

If you get a chance, talk to Wolforth about me headed his way for the Texas Baseball Camp next year. I hope to present on the biomechanics lab and our training facility and wouldn’t mind you dropping our name his way. I need to shoot him another email; I last spoke with him too long ago.

I read it in the magazine and thought it was great that some MLB teams are starting to accept the long toss beyond 120 feet. Maybe this will also play a part in wiping out the whole “balance point, high cock at landing, slow slow and slower” pitching instruction too.

I beleive Wolforth is good with deadlifting but no squatting unless you have the mobility to do so correctly and get proper coaching. In his Combat Pitching he hinted around the deadlifting and I believe he had some trap bars in the background.