Transferring long toss to the mound?

I’ve read sources that claim that a throw that is roughly around 305 feet translates to about 90 mph. I’ve eclipsed this mark by a small amount, but I’ve yet to hit the magic number. I haven’t gotten gunned lately, but I’d guess that I’m only around the mid-80’s. Since I evidently have the arm strength to hit 90, it’s frustrating to know that I’m underachieving. What techniques to you guys use to make your throws on the mound as efficient as possible in comparision to your long toss throws?

u might want to check your macnics

When you long toss, are you using pitching mechanics, or OF throwing mechanics, i.e. moving crow hop? The mechanics of the two are NOT the same.

Don’t try to do a 1:1 comparison because it will never work.

i forget where i saw it but im pretty sure 300 feet was 80 mph so it seems on par with what ur saying

i forget where i saw it but im pretty sure 300 feet was 80 mph so it seems on par with what ur saying[/quote]

50 mph ~ 120’
60 mph ~ 170’
70 mph ~ 210’
80 mph ~ 260’
90 mph ~ 305’
100 mph ~ 360’

250’ ~ 78mph
300’ ~ 89 mph
350’ ~ 97 mph
280’ ~ 84 mph

80 mph throw at 30-degrees: ~262’
80 mph throw at 35-degrees: ~267’
80 mph throw at 40-degrees: ~264’

and yes, the mechanics of throwing 300 feet with outfielder mechanics vs pitching mechanics is completely different, I can almost hit 300 feet if I’m crow hopping, but cannot if I am using pitching mechanics.

holy crap i was right XD :lol:

What constitutes pitching mechanics? Any throw besides one 60’6" on an elevated mound uses throwing mechanics that aren’t “pitching mechanics”. I guess I worded my question incorrectly; what fundamental mechanics in a 300 ft + throw are replicated in a 90 mph pitch?

On a side note, would those who long toss say that their maximum distances and velocities match up with those on the chart posted by CSOleson?

I just want to verify that those are from a previous thread, I didn’t do the original math, and many people will find that it doesn’t translate over to the mound, because many people cannot get the same power on a mound that they can from the outfield. I average 3-5 mph more from the outfield than the mound.

according to this i throw 92 when i long toss:/ id like that from the mound

When you long toss, do you plant your pivot foot, then raise your stride foot, torque your body, take a stride, then try to hit a specific spot, or are you just trying to throw the ball as far as you can? If you don’t understand that an outfielder making a throw to the plate does it differently than a pitcher throwing a pitch, you’ll never understand why there’s not a 1:1 transfer from long toss to pitching.

Myself, I think there’s a lot of bs created when you witness people’s confusion in mechanics between pitching and long-toss. I don’t mean here, just over the years where you hear that suddenly long-toss kills arms, Gatorade actually dehydrates you, etc.

Seriously the “fundamental mechanics” are 99% the same in both throws. The long-toss is simply less efficient—you are literally throwing up instead of down, simultaneously striding flat instead of down (throws always go up, pitches always go down).

Imagine the trajectory of a true pitch on grass as if from the mound; from 60’6" it would be straight to the shoes of the guy catching it, but the long-toss has you throwing at or well above the head of your target.

So there’s going to be that much less arm travel from cock/load to release, and maybe the desired forward release and follow-through is not even possible. Plus gravity begins working against the ball. Maybe there’s not the same arm extension possible. All sorts of leverage and angles are limited and suddenly you’re worried that these repetitious, altered “mechanics” will confuse things on the mound.

No, wrong, don’t worry. This is the entire point—you get more natural work to the arm without changing any pitching mechanics. And don’t—just don’t change pitching mechanics from games to workouts and back again. As a student of the game, handle that and learn your body.

So that finally:

Each time you’re back on the mound you’re not just a pitcher again, but your arm is capable of a quicker, more explosive ride around your shoulder. Also, if you’re training properly the added conditioning can add some level of protection from injury.

Wolforth tells the story of how he had a student that could long toss over 300 feet and yet couldn’t break 82 MPH off the mound. He started having the guy make 1 throw long toss and the next off the mound. Within a couple of weeks the guy was up to 90 MPH. This is part of the beginning of the concept of blending.

This is probably the best advice I have seen on this site.