Transferring D3 to D1

I am currently a freshman pitcher at a Division 3 school, I’m 6’3" 220 lbs, throwing from a very low 3/4 borderline sidearm slot. I have great movement on my 2-Seam and throw a plus plus split-fingered fastball and I just want to play Division 1 to get a better chance at being drafted or signed to a professional ball club. I get up to 88 mph and as a freshman I will be the schools closer but I’m not sure what to do, I turned down multiple D1 schools (they were in the bottom 10 D1 schools in the US) to play for this D3. I consider myself a late bloomer mostly because I’m one of the youngest in my class because I went to school early, so I do not think that the year off would hurt me as I would fall back with my regular class, but I am not sure what to do and if it would be smart for me to transfer out. I had some other D1 looks and conversations with the coaches my senior year of HS but they just fell through or their roster was already full, any thoughts on what I should do? How often does this happen?

In my opinion, if you’re going to college just to play ball, you’re missing the point of acquiring a college education. Your earning power, not to mention your opportunities in life, orbit the degree program that your about to undertake.

Bouncing around from one college to another just to play ball is a waste. Before you know it, you’ll be in your late twenties, competing against those who earned a degree, got good grades, were sought after by solid employers, and so forth.

Rethink your path in life. Rethink it very carefully - you only get a chance to get it right once. Only once.

I apologize if my remarks were rough around the edges. I made those comments based on seeing, year after year, those trying to pursue better that where they were, riding on the checkbooks of parents, grandparents and others. Those that were paying their own way - either partially or totally, sacrificed grades because of exhaustion and metering time on things other than grades.

sidearm36, when you’re young and healthy, full of choices and opportunities that seem endless and without every drying up, it’s hard to visualize getting older, competing against those already in the marketplace, and those coming up behind you who are eager - like you were once, and with much more going for them.

Here’s the cruel facts about the competitive side of this sport:

1. Youth is the one asset that works against you more than talent. You can quickly adapt, learn, recover, get better and better, as long as you have your youth. Your ability to push yourself, relentlessly, is what’s expected - day in and day out. If you’re sick, injured or too weak to make it to the field - you better be on a gurney headed for the ER.
  2. Coaches consider you a resource. An expendable resource without any regard(s) for you personally. The sales job of convincing you otherwise is the mainstay of a coach’s personality, and you’ll never pick that up in a million years - until you’re on a gurney headed for the ER, or told to “take a hike.”
  3. If you can’t, or won’t, cut the mustard, there’s a million guys right next to you that will.
  4. There’s a reason why there is a number on your back - you’re a number, nothing more, nothing less.
  5. Sportsmanship is a crock, but you’ll be told over and over again to believe it. When you do, you’re gone.

Now if all this sounds like it’s just too much…or … no way, just wait till you hit the job market. Employers and those that interview you have the same mindset as 1 through 5, only in a business and job security sense.

Like I mentioned in my original post, we all only get one chance to get it right at your age - make it count. I didn’t.