Transfering from D3 to D1

I am currently a freshman LHP at a Division 3 school. I also play quarterback on the football team for the college. I was recently signed to play in the New York Collegiate Baseball League as a freshman. I am 6’4 1/2" tall and weigh about 190 pounds. I was clocked at throwing 84 MPH in the fall but at that time I was only throwing baseball about twice a week because I was involved in football. My coaches predict me to be throwing around 84 to 87 MPH in the spring once I begin a throwing routine. I throw a 2 seam fastball that has a lot of movement and I have the ability to throw strikes. I also throw a cut fastball, change up, and curveball. My curveball was graded as an average MLB curve at an MLB Open Tryout this past summer. I am considering transferring to a D1 school for my sophomore year. My ultimate goal is to be able to sign an MLB contract. I do have some connection to a D1 school but I just want people’s opinions on what they think my chances of securing a roster spot on a D1 team would be. Thanks. Should I stay where I’m at or try to transfer up.

As you stated your ultimate goal is to obtain a major league contract. Very few D3 pitchers do that. But it is not impossible. I could name a few. That velocity is going to have to come up some though.

Now, what about transferring to a DI school increases your chances? IMO…it could only if you perform at a level that will attract MLB level attention. That means you have to consistently get on the mound and be successful against DI level hitters.

What I mean is, every baseball player at some point in his life becomes exposed. You get up there, they see what you are and you find out where you are in the pecking order. Sometimes it is a disappointment. But that is only because you don’t prepare yourself for it. Later, you see it for what it was and doesn’t bother you.

Sounds like your current situation is a good one for opportunity. If you have some sort of reason to believe you will get just as much opportunity at the DI, then for the sake of argument and not discussing any other factors, DI would probably get you more exposure.

You have to be ruthless in your honesty about your talent. I don’t mean you have to give up your confidence, you just have to be able to see that perspective is where its at. Don’t chase a fantasy or a dream for that matter. Chasing dreams is for old men. You have to live your dreams. That means that maybe you don’t make the move until you are convinced that the opportunity will be there when you get there, and you have the talent to take advantage of it.

That’s the baseball side of it that I see. But you know, if you are diligent at gut checking yourself, that your future in large part depends on your present. There are things you have no control over. Don’t sweat them. But the choices you make must be done mostly based on facts and not emotion.

I’ve rambled a bit here, as if I were talking to my own son. Only you know what is right. Is your education a factor? It could be a big factor and most likely will be a good example of how your present affects your future. There are ways of making sure your future is secure and at the same time trying to achieve the near impossible. It is called working with a net.

Always have a plan A and a plan B…and I have learned later in life, a plan C ain’t a bad idea either.

I was hunting deer with a buddy. I showed up at his favorite square of woods and asked, “Well, where’s the best place to go?” He replied, “The deer are where you find them.”

Bottom line is…like deer, good pitchers are where you find them. And if you are good, they will find you. Even if you are a farmboy like Bob Feller.

Great advice Dino

I guess my first question for you is what happened your senior year of HS that caused you to decide to go DIII vs attempting to go DI?

I went d3 because I also play football. I wanted to play both sports at the college level. I knew I could play baseball anywhere I was gonna play football. But my senior year in HS was way more successful than I expected and I obviously know now that I should have pursued college baseball in a more intelligent way rather than merely trying to get recruited for football and play baseball wherever I play football

As soon as you play 1 inning or 1 game in official D3 competition, you’d have to sit out a year if you transfer up to D1. This should be definitely be a consideration.

So you’re looking to go strictly Baseball only?

The point Ben brings up is a good one as well, also keep in mind that now you’re enrolled and taking classes your eligibility clock is ticking as well, you have 5 years to compete for seasons, if you play this season and transfer you lose a year and have 3 and 3 left, if you get hurt or get red shirted or gray shirted you lose another year and suddenly your clock is almost ran out.

Also remember (I took this from another site)

[quote]Also remember (I took this from another site)

Quote:
…need to remember that coaches cannot speak to them about a transfer until they receive written permission from their current institution. So, the first thing the athlete should do is talk to their coach and explain that they would like to request permission to speak with other schools. One of the things that upsets many coaches is when they receive a “permission to contact” form from another school and the student-athlete has not given them any indication that they are considering a transfer. The key to remember – coaches don’t like surprises…
[/quote]

My son went through this. He waited until the spring baseball season was over before he set things in motion. The permission to contact actually is issued by the athletic director. It would be wise to give the coach a heads up before he finds out from the AD that you are looking elsewhere. This can work a few different ways. If you are the top pitcher, you might have the leverage and staying power to not be affected by an early reveal. But if your coach knows you aren’t in his future then you might be cooling your heels on the bench. Which reminds me. Did the D3 coach assist you in rostering on the collegiate league team?

Sounds like you want to give up the football.