Transfer Rules

I have a tricky scenario here I was wondering if anyone could help me out:

In the fall of 2008 I was a freshman and played the fall season at a Division 1 four year school. After the fall season the coach decided to use a redshirt on me. I had other plans and wanted to pitch that season so transferred to a D2 school and saw plenty of action in the spring. In the fall of 2009 I returned to the D2 school and played the fall season. After the fall season I became ill and had to use a medical redshirt for this spring 2010 season. I am currently not enrolled for this semester.

During my time away I have had a lot of time to workout, train to get bigger and better myself as a pitcher. I have also had alot of time to
think about how I want to go about my future and achieve my baseball goals and dreams. I feel moving on to a different university would be the best course of action for me. I know if moved to a juco I would immediately be eligible, but if I were to move to another D1 school would I be able to play immediately in the fall of 2010? What about another D2, or 3?
Thanks guys

[quote=“hardworkbeatstalent2”] I know if moved to a juco I would immediately be eligible, but if I were to move to another D1 school would I be able to play immediately in the fall of 2010? What about another D2, or 3?
Thanks guys[/quote]

In a word no.

Basically your 5 year clock has already started ticking (meaning in college you get 5 years to play 4). You played a year (that’s 1) then got a redshirt (that’s 2), now the question is where to go.

If you go JUCO yes you could play right away, but since you’ve already been enrolled at a 4 year university for 2 years I don’t think that you could do that at this point… you’d have to check with the compliance officer about that.

But if you were allowed to play in the JUCO that would be 3 years of eligibility used up. If you wanted to transfer again after that and play right away I guess you could (D1 or D2). that would be 4 & 5 years.

Sounds like your best bet would be to go to the current D2 and you could still play right away.

If you transfer to another D2 you will have to sit a year. If you transfer to a D1 you will have to sit a year. If you transfer to a D3 you could play right away.

So basically you can move down a division and play immediately. But if you go across to another D2 or up a division (up to D1) you will have to sit a year.

If you go to the NCAA website you can find their transfer rules document that explains some of this.

Thanks for the reply. So even if I am currently not enrolled at the the Division 2 school this semester, I couldn’t walk onto a Division 1 team and be able to pitch immediately?

[quote=“hardworkbeatstalent2”]101,

Thanks for the reply. So even if I am currently not enrolled at the the Division 2 school this semester, I couldn’t walk onto a Division 1 team and be able to pitch immediately?[/quote]

Well I don’t think so. I don’t think it matters if you were a walk on or not, but if you’re a scholarship player you need to get your release first before you can talk to any D1 schools.

If you’re considering the move to D1 I don’t think you can get around having to sit a year (“year in residence” they call it).

I think it would be a good idea for you to call the school you are considering attending and talking to their compliance officer. I’m sure he/she could answer a lot of your questions.

Good luck.

[quote]If you go JUCO yes you could play right away, but since you’ve already been enrolled at a 4 year university for 2 years I don’t think that you could do that at this point… you’d have to check with the compliance officer about that.
[/quote]

Why not?

[quote="|J3|"][quote]If you go JUCO yes you could play right away, but since you’ve already been enrolled at a 4 year university for 2 years I don’t think that you could do that at this point… you’d have to check with the compliance officer about that.
[/quote]

Why not?[/quote]

Because JUCO’s are 2 year schools. He’s already attended 2 years at a university and would have his associate degree hence no need for the JUCO.

I played 2 years (redshirted one) at a D1 university then transferred to a JUCO and played one year and transferred back to a D1.

Contact the NCAA Academic and Membership Affairs Group by telephone. They will help you resolve any problems and answer questions regarding your specific situation. The legislation and governance of transfer students is somewhat complicated and some misinformation can occur inadvertently. These are the people that should know…go to them.

Phone: 317/917-6222
Monday through Friday : Noon to 4 PM Eastern Standard Time

This is the link to the website:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/ncaa/legislation+and+governance/contact-membership_services.html

You may have to wait a half hour on the phone to get a representative to talk to you but it will be worth it. Before you hang up get a case number and then the notes from the previous conversation will be available for the counselor. It’s really worth the investment of your time to call. This is your college career and you want to do as much pre planning as possible to avoid disappointments.

Good Luck.

[quote=“101mph”][quote="|J3|"][quote]If you go JUCO yes you could play right away, but since you’ve already been enrolled at a 4 year university for 2 years I don’t think that you could do that at this point… you’d have to check with the compliance officer about that.
[/quote]

Why not?[/quote]

Because JUCO’s are 2 year schools. He’s already attended 2 years at a university and would have his associate degree hence no need for the JUCO.[/quote]

I know JUCOs are 2-year schools. I attend one. He is still a sophomore though.

This is what I was thinking when responding to 101mph, but decided to see what his response would be to “why not?”.

What you described is not uncommon in among D1 athletes who transfer schools during their “career”.