Training/Nutrition

This thread is mainly for kc86, but anyone else can post :slight_smile:

It’s not that I need to lose fat before lifting, infact I’m not sure why I put that. I was thinking that by losing fat, I would end up looking a bit better. My diet though needs major work. I don’t eat horrible, infact I think I eat pretty good things, just to much of them. As for supplements, my friend told me about thermo burst, or something like that. He said it would speed my metabolism up and help shed the excess fat. I just want to make an impression this year in highschool and in australia next year. It’s sort of the last shot I’ve got before going to college. Anything you can tell me kc86 would help, and I greatly appreciate. I weigh 180 right now, and I’d like to way near 200 by the time baseball season starts. I want to put on lean muscle I guess.

Okay. Well, I dont think I have hidden my misgivings about weight loss supplements here. They all basically do the same thing- which is artificially raise your body’s operating threshhold, thereby burning more calories. But in your case, you want to add 20 pounds of lean mass. These goals are basically on opposite ends of the spectrum. In order to gain weight (muscle or fat) you need to have a caloric surplus. The supplements would make that even more difficult. Losing fat involves exercise. Weight and fat are two different things.

So the basic plan of attack you would want to follow is:
-Lift regularly for explosiveness and strength, not bodybuilder muscles.
-Add aerobic fitness exercises (running, plyometrics, etc.)
-Maintain a slow but constant weight gain per week.
-Replace fat with muscle.

There are a ton of different ways to achieve this goal. The most basic answer I could give would be that you should lift three days a week, full body (MWF). Follow that with 2-3 days of intense cardio and plyometric workouts (TuTh). From there you can also integrate days dedicated specifically to baseball related training.

One of my favorite sources to quote is Ross Enamait. He recently underwent a bit of an experiment in trying to gain mass. His article can be viewed here

. It is important to remember that you are not a bodybuilder, so you should not lift weights like one. Hypertrophy will not make you a better ballplayer, so you dont need it. I think Roger Clemens is one of the best examples of what you are trying to accomplish. He got bigger and stronger in his later years without sacrificing any of the performance or reliability of his younger days.

Right now you have 5 months, give or take, to prepare for the season. Plenty of time to get a good base of fitness. I didnt write out specific exercises because I dont have a good idea of your current level of training, what facilities you have available, what you normally like to do, etc. Let me know some of that stuff and I will do the best I can to help.

Edit: I will try to cover nutritional stuff when I get home tonight. Do me a favor and list your height and age. Thanks.

great post kc86!!!

i just want to add to what kc said.

I would lift 4x / week, uppper and lower split.
I would figure out what i want to do…add muscle or lose a lot of bf%.

Usualy there is 2 phases a “bulking” and “cutting”

Bulking you eat heaps of good foods. You push your self to the limits of what you can lift. as heavy as possible.

Cutting is when you are happy with your weight gains but want to drop the bf%. So you increase rep range, lower calorie intake, and do alot of cardio.

If your bf% is not that bad then i would reccomend just lifting heavy, this will also lower your bf%.

Okay, well I am just going to aun this for a 6 foot, 180 pound person with 17.5% BF (very average numbers for an athlete). Adjust it to fit your size and bodyfat %.

Alright, so the initial numbers would be:
148.5 of Lean Body Mass (LBM)
31.5 pound of fat
The goal end result would be around 12% BF and 200 pounds, which would be 176 pounds of LBM and 24 pounds of fat. So you would need to lose 7.5 pounds of fat and add 28 pounds of muscle. This is a lofty goal, but it can be done in 5 months.

As electro mentioned, there are cycles called cuts and bulks. Although you could cut down fat, then bulk up, this would take more time than you have. It would serve you better to do something called a “slow bulk” where you add muscle (as in a normal bulk) while still focusing on lowering your BF%. This is acheived through a caloric surplus diet and workout sessions which burn fat deposits. This way your body still has the calories needed to build new muscle (the body will burn carbs first, then fats to provide energy).

Alright, so our example person would burn around 3200 calories throughout the day, assuming that they were moderately active. If you wanted to gain weight, particularly muscle, you would need to take in a caloric surplus of 500-700 calories a day. That would be in order to gain one pound a week. That would probably be the max amount of weight you would want to gain per week, otherwise you would gain BF as well as muscle. So, your daily intake would be around 3500-4000 calories a day. I know it sounds like a lot, but there is really no other way to gain 20 pounds in five months. You have twenty weeks and you need to gain a pound a week to hit the goal. If you break it down to 6 meals a day, it is around 625 per meal. It’s not hard to eat that much.
When it comes out to the macronutrient makeup of your daily calories, you have a lot of different choices. Personally, I would go with a protein heavy, carb low diet. This will make your body more apt to burn fat, since there are no carbs to burn off beforehand. This would make your intake about 50% protein, 30% fat and 20% carbs. The downside is cost. Protein rich foods are expensive. Otherwise, this would be the best choice.
If you arent able to follow that diet, I would just go with a balanced diet- 35% protein, 35% carbs and 30% fats. This isnt ideal, but it will work. Your cardio sessions will need to be more intense to burn the extra carbs (or you could do fasted cardio in the morning before you eat).
In either case, it is important that you eat a lot of protein and dont go overboard on the carbs. If you do that you will be able to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

As with anything, you have to stick to the program for a little while, then step back and evaluate. If you are gaining weight too fast, or too slow, then you need to adjust the food intake accordingly. Same goes with cardio and lifting. Follow a program to the letter, then check the results.

Oh yeah, and one last thing- supplements. If I were in your shoes, I would get a multivitamin and whey protein; that is it. There are a lot of fancy pills that promise the world, but hard work is best. Whey helps especially if you follow the 50% protein diet, since each shake is 30g of protein. Way easier than eating a chicken breast or steak (and faster too). Optimum Nutrition is cheap and it is tasty.

Good Luck,
KC

P.Hedge, What part of West Virginia do you live in? I live in Nicholas county. I’m sorry it is a little off topic but I was just curious. As for my traning, I am 5’ 11’ 161lbs. And I am about to turn 17 soon. I run about 2 miles a week. I lift about twice a week. (upper body) And the rest of my time I spend throwing and working on my imperfections of my mechanics to get them better. I am also working on a new pitch as well. If I can be of help just let me know by my E-Mail address or PM me.

Thanks guys. I’m sure if I stay at it and follow your guide lines I’ll do great. Starting tommorow (Monday) I’ll be lifting. I have a track at my school so I can run after my classes. I’ll lift, whole body, MWF. I’ll run on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My dad and I are trying to find a place to throw during the winter so I can finnaly learn to throw that circle change. Once football is over, I’ll have access to the school gym and won’t have to lift at home. They have a lot of machines and freeweights too, so I’ll be able to take advantage of that. Last year I was 4-1 with 45ings pitched. I had only 25 so, but only 12 walks. My era was about 3.6. I’m hoping to improve on my fastball hopefully make All State. Anything else you guys can help me with in achieveing my goal would be great. I’ll try and keep you updated on my progress and post a workout schedule on this same thread. Thanks kc86 and electro!