Training for the baseball pitcher/football linebacker

It’s an unusual combination, but my 14 year old son is a pitcher and also a linebacker in football. He has a passion for both, and wants to increase bulk in order to start on the 9th grade football team next year. He’s 5’8", 135lbs and is doing strength and conditioning 2x 1 hour every week that includes sprinting, lateral and backward movement, ladder drills, hops, etc. along with ab and leg work, pushups, and stretching.

He’s also working out with his pitching coach 3 times per week, using medballs, weighted baseballs, tube work, and running.

My question is, what types of excercises would help him gain size without compromising his ability to throw the baseball?

Thanks in advance.

Olympic lifts. Find a personal trainer or strength coach that can teach really good form. These lifts will give the kid a ton of pop when he hits, and make him faster covering ground on the field. For baseball it will increase the explosiveness in lower and upper body. Olmpic lifters are basically some of the most explosive athletes on earth. There is one guy that had a 36 inch vertical at well over 300 pounds. :wink:

where can we find info on these olympic lifts?

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/PowerExercises.html

On the right side, there is a column of “Olympic Style Weightlifts.” These are many of the variations for the two actual Olympic Events- the snatch and the clean and jerk.

Little Extra Info:

http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/article-olympic-lifting.aspx

[quote=“hoseman18”]It’s an unusual combination, but my 14 year old son is a pitcher and also a linebacker in football. He has a passion for both, and wants to increase bulk in order to start on the 9th grade football team next year. He’s 5’8", 135lbs and is doing strength and conditioning 2x 1 hour every week that includes sprinting, lateral and backward movement, ladder drills, hops, etc. along with ab and leg work, pushups, and stretching.

He’s also working out with his pitching coach 3 times per week, using medballs, weighted baseballs, tube work, and running.

My question is, what types of excercises would help him gain size without compromising his ability to throw the baseball?

Thanks in advance.[/quote]sorry, but you cant be a really good linebacker and also be a successful pitcher, linebackers need strength, pitchers dont want to bulk up, football players do, pitchers need to do a lot of throwing and conditioning with their legs, like football players, but they also throw different, so he’ll either throw a football like a baseball or opposite, most likely, not to say he cant be good at both, which is a good chance, but more than likely, it will be football, because those coaches almost make their players lift and thats not good for pitchers

Completely untrue.

There are many good athletes that play both. There is a guy at my old high school that played QB on the varsity team from his sophomore year. He just committed to UCLA to play baseball. The guy has a 92-94 fastball. He lifted with the football team all four years of school.

Secondly, linebackers are not linemen. “Bulking” is not really the goal. The goal is to be able to cover a ton of ground and be able to put the hat on the guy when you get there. An elite level middle linebacker at the high school level would be 6’-6’3, 220-230 pounds. That is not too big or bulky to pitch. You lift for strength in football, not for “beach muscles.”

Being strong and explosive is never a hindrance to athletic performance.

[quote=“kc86”]Completely untrue.

There are many good athletes that play both. There is a guy at my old high school that played QB on the varsity team from his sophomore year. He just committed to UCLA to play baseball. The guy has a 92-94 fastball. He lifted with the football team all four years of school.

Secondly, linebackers are not linemen. “Bulking” is not really the goal. The goal is to be able to cover a ton of ground and be able to put the hat on the guy when you get there. An elite level middle linebacker at the high school level would be 6’-6’3, 220-230 pounds. That is not too big or bulky to pitch. You lift for strength in football, not for “beach muscles.”

Being strong and explosive is never a hindrance to athletic performance.[/quote]like i said, some can be good at both :D, but your right, i just wasnt thinking HS linebacker :smiley: