Training advice

Hi Steve and others taking time to reply,

I am Slader’s Dad writing in and would like to know why your tuff cuff program would be better than some of the information provided by the NPA or other programs such as Mills’.

Slade is 6’3", 205#, LH, and still 3 months shy of his 15th birthday. He needs an off-season training program and I want him to have a good program that doesn’t involve an expensive gym-trainor membership. We plan to continue hitting and throwing (but take a break from pitching) during the off-season and plan to use the guidance of our local NPA instructor in Springfield.

Slade doesn’t have great velocity for his size and I know he is only 14 and will get stronger. He pitches in the mid 60’s and has good control and command of location. He currently is pitching in a wooden bat league and facing high school players for the first time and doing well in both hitting and pitching.

I have video to send but can’t figure out how to get dv-r to download. I can view it on the computer but that’s it…frustrating, believe me.

Steve, my son is expected to reach 6’5" and he really loves baseball!! He needs added strength for his size. He isn’t frail and watching him shake hands after the game today he is bigger than the entire varsity squad of a nearby high school. He has potential, but we need assistance. Thanks!

Tuff Cuff is good because it’s a all year workout that goes from off-season to inseason and it really helps you set goals and meet them everday since you normally do something everyday. I really love tuff cuff as most people know I have changed a little bit to my liking and you could do the same. It is easy to use and would make your son strong.

Now Idk about the NPA but my guess is it’s not a 52 week workout. Also this is a workout from a Pro that played pro ball and he has made it for young to older players that are looking to improve?

Well Tuff Cuff is a pitcher specific workout that builds explosiveness for pitchers, but I’m not sure how beneficial it would be for basketball. If hes more interested in basketball, I’d say just get him into heavy weightlifting because thats the best way for him to bulk up and add strength.

Thanks for replies. You must have mis-read because I never mentioned basketball.
I think I’ll talk with Slader’s pitching instructor also. Keep replying!! Thanks!

Lol oops, I guess I thought I saw basketball, and figured he was 6’3", I just put two and two together lol my bad. In that case, tuff cuff is the workout that you should get him on

Thanks, we all “read” into things. The ironic thing is we have a good friend who is the freshman basketball at his HS and Slader’s algebra teacher is the varsity basketball coach. Any pressure to play??
I am looking over tuff cuff.

I just messed up, our friend is the freshman coach, not the basketball!! lol

Just to clarify: are you looking for a program that can be done without a gym, or just without a personal trainer?

One other thing- do you or your son have any experience with strength training?

I have plenty of weight training experience as I use to compete and win in bodybuilding contests. We have basic equipment and would purchase more if needed. Slade may have access to the HS weight room, and there is equipment at the baseball training center but we have never asked about using it. If we need a gym then we’ll consider it.
I don’t feel a personal trainer is necessary if we have the proper program. Although I do recognize my intense training periods are different than the programs pitchers would follow. 19" arms, 50" chest, 28" legs not needed on the mound. :slight_smile: Thanks!

[quote=“Slader”]I have plenty of weight training experience as I use to compete and win in bodybuilding contests. We have basic equipment and would purchase more if needed. Slade may have access to the HS weight room, and there is equipment at the baseball training center but we have never asked about using it. If we need a gym then we’ll consider it.
I don’t feel a personal trainer is necessary if we have the proper program. Although I do recognize my intense training periods are different than the programs pitchers would follow. 19" arms, 50" chest, 28" legs not needed on the mound. :slight_smile: Thanks![/quote]
Just checking to see that someone could show correct form on the various lifts. Seems like you are more than suited to the task.

And just to address your original post…
I had never heard of NPA, but after looking through their site I am less than impressed. The exercises shown for “Fastball Fitness” seem to focus on isometric holds and really light stuff. That might work well for increasing joint stability, but developing strength and power? Not likely.

I would agree on the NPA exercise/training but the main purpose of the NPA, in my opinion, is the teaching of proper mechanics. Ask Steve Ellis about the certification program. Maybe he could say a little bit about the NPA if he reads this string. Thanks!
Oh, and I don’t have those measurements anymore, and I wouldn’t encourage my sons to seek what I sought after either. 16" inch arms are big enough. A work related injury has curtailed that type of training.