Towel training

does towel training really work? if it does, i am going to put this in my workout. but i would like to know if it hurts more than it helps. thank you in advance

:smiley:

Depends. What are you asking if the towel drill works for?

mechanics. do you know what i am talking about.

i mean when you have a towel in your hand. then you go through 4 steps

1. step up(hold)

2. step down, arm back, glove towards target(hold)

3. bring glove in, begin throw(hold)

4. follow through, bring trowing arm down (hold)

anyone know?

The towel drill allows you to get in lots of reps working on your mechanics or a specific element thereof without the wear and tear or focus of throwing a ball to a target. So, while I don’t necessarily agree with the mechanics model you described, the towel drill will let you work on those mecanics. Keep in mind there is nothing magical about the towel drill. It simply removes the wear and tear of throwing a ball.

ok, roger thanks. i will have to do this more, because i really have nowhere to throw a ball against when im not with anyone.

maybe someone explained it wrong to me. are you supposed to go full speed? i always went about 20% speed

100%. You set the target at a distance of your stride plus 5 heel-to-toe steps. To reach that, you generally need to be going 100%. You should have no more than 12" of towel extending from your hand.

That towel drill teaches you to stay behind the ball and apply direct force, but it can also have negative effects on your overall mechanics. (i.e. Mark Prior, Kerry Wood) It’s good to stay behind the ball, but in some cases it causes extreme amounts of strain on your rotator cuff.

Robert, this is from another thread in the forum and is representative of some perhaps different opinion on your take…by the way welcome aboard and glad to have ya.

jdfromfla wrote:

Well how about the mechanics of running your shoulder into a 210 lb 2nd baseman? Or the mechanics of what happens to nearly pure calcium bone when hit by a batted line drive (On the elbow)…Lets not let real history get in the way of someones pocket theory here

This piece of history seems to escape those who foolishly claim his injuries are from his arm action. I mean the collision was so great that even Giles himself was hurt.

Getting off topic, but I came across this news piece yesterday on Prior’s recent surgery:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080605&content_id=2850165&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnered=rss_mlb

Quote:

The capsule in Prior’s right shoulder had torn away from the humerus bone, an injury neither Hoenecke nor Fronek had ever heard of another baseball player having it before.

HAGL, as it’s called, describes a humeral avulsion of the glenohumeral ligaments. The injury, according to Fronek, is most often associated with a “traumatic events, usually from a fall.”

Gee, I wonder what that “traumatic event” could have been?