Towel Drills for Sidearm/Submarine Pitcher?

I’m starting my first year of college baseball this August and they put us on a specific throwing and workout program for the summer. This includes hitting the towel drills at least 3 times a week. I’m a low sidearm (one could say submarine) RHP but I have no idea what drills to work for towels. Would it be the same as a guy throwing regular just drop the arm? My HS coach was kind of a bone head and didn’t work a lot of towels and bands so I honestly have no clue. Thank you for your help!

Hey Jake, I just finished up my JuCo career as a low sidearm RHP. Our program didn’t focus much on towels as that area was personal preference… however, I have began to add them into my routine. I believe the most beneficial thing you could do is find an object such as a Tee and work on ‘finishing/whipping’ the towel across the top of the tee.

_…… I’m a low sidearm (one could say submarine) RHP but I have no idea what drills to work for towels. Would it be the same as a guy throwing regular just drop the arm? My HS coach was kind of a bone head and didn’t work a lot of towels and bands so I honestly have no clue. Thank you for your help!..

Sidearm deliveries are a hard nut to crack. Not much in the way of coaching these guys from my experience. Kind-a like a self-taught thing from what I’ve seen. On the other hand, asking for help here may be a challenge - and for many reasons. The first and foremost being the lack of sidearm pitchers that are out there to begin with. Reason - sidearm pitchers are very unpredictable, consistency wise. They’re either on their game of not. More so than any other pitcher on the pitching staff ( again, from my experience.)

If sidearm is just a new thing, I’d suggest dumping it and going with a delivery that is easier to coach, train for, and results oriented.

I came out of HS a 3/4 guy with 0 offers and then I started working submarine because i am pretty tall and skinny and my velo went up too. I have 7 offers and all 7 want me actually to go even lower which isn’t a problem with me at all. I’m sure doing towels with a regular arm slot would be fine?

I don’t have any experience with side-armers and the towel drill but I will offer this…

I believe the drill set-up parameters (target height, obviously but also distance to target) could be different if you alter your posture to achieve a low arm slot because such a posture will tend to pull your release point back.

As for the feedback aspect of the towel drill, I believe missing the target left or right would still usually indicate a posture issue and coming up short will still usually indicate a lack of momentum or poor glove management - just as these would for pitchers with higher arm slots.