Towel Drill

Whats your take on the towel drill?

Why do you ask? What do you know about it?

good place to start to learn tempo and when to apply effort. once you do that, use the towel for your shower after workout. throw the ball, throw the ball, throw the ball. that is how you get better and stronger. doing it supervised and using a progressive program.

The towel drill is mainly used for balance issues sometimes, but is mainly used to exaggerate getting out over your front knee at release.

Ok thanks. No I do not know much about this I was just wondering if its worth it to do it

I guess I just feel that if there isn’t a specific need to do any drill, why bother? That’s why I asked why you were interested in it?? Did someone tell you you have a timing or extension issue? If not, just focus on your throwing: play a lot of catch between now and next season and you’ll be way ahead of the curve!

Ok so like will playing catch more like 5 times a week or something help increase my speed and condition my arm?

Steven is correct. No drill is worth much if you don’t have a purpose in mind. It doesn’t matter what the drill is. If you have no purpose, you put no focus on trying to accomplish anything specific.

So, come up with a purpose - something you want to work on - and then select the drill or drills that best support the purpose. And don’t forget to take what you did in the drill(s) to the mound and practice it there, too.

The towel drill can be useful when you just are trying to get your mechanics more engrained in muscle memory. You can do more reps since their is less stress on the arm. I heard once that pitching is like golf in some ways. Golf is a precision sport as is pitching. It requires constant reps to get the feel for your swing/motion. However, Golfers can go out and swing hundreds of times a day. A pitcher can’t go out and throw 100 pitches a day, they will get injured. So the towel drill allows you to get more reps, since there is less stress on the arm. It also is useful since when you are throwing a ball, you are concerned with where it goes. With the towel drill, you don’t need to worry where it goes. You can just concentrate on mechanics.

[quote=“Roger”]Steven is correct. No drill is worth much if you don’t have a purpose in mind. It doesn’t matter what the drill is. If you have no purpose, you put no focus on trying to accomplish anything specific.

So, come up with a purpose - something you want to work on - and then select the drill or drills that best support the purpose. And don’t forget to take what you did in the drill(s) to the mound and practice it there, too.[/quote]

Bingo Bango Bongo, Whammy. Everything you do should be with a purpose.