Torn fingernail?

Hi All, My son 13 was playing SS and fielded a hard hit groundball that took a hop up and caught his middle finger. it tore 1/2 the nail off and fractured a very small chip at the end of the finger. doc say’s he will be ok. my question is we have a tournament in 2 weeks. he’s our best pitcher and SS do you think he’ll be able to play and or pitch with this injury or should we shut it down. as always thanks for any advice!!!

PS- He made the play and got the out. when he came into the dugout he looked like he got shot, blood everywhere.

[quote=“plug2000us”]Hi All, My son 13 was playing SS and fielded a hard hit groundball that took a hop up and caught his middle finger. it tore 1/2 the nail off and fractured a very small chip at the end of the finger. doc say’s he will be ok. my question is we have a tournament in 2 weeks. he’s our best pitcher and SS do you think he’ll be able to play and or pitch with this injury or should we shut it down. as always thanks for any advice!!!

PS- He made the play and got the out. when he came into the dugout he looked like he got shot, blood everywhere.[/quote]
Depends on how fast the nail grows, but I would say to wait until to grows back properly. Had something similar my sophomore year and the more I pitched the longer it took to heal.

Best thing to do is wait until the nail grows back completely. No sense taking chances with something like this. Look at what happened to Yankee pitcher Freddy Garcia—he cut a finger on his pitching hand while doing something in the kitchen, and as a result he’s now on the DL, which means he’s lost to the team for at least three weeks. Ouch! An upcoming tournament is not worth the risk. 8)

He is 13 and not getting paid yet to play, or not playing in a game that someone would be seeing him to get to the next level, as much as you want to see him play and his team needs him what about his future. Shut it down!