Too Early for two seamer?

I Coach a 12yrold select team here in town. My question is since we don’t throw the curveball is throwing the two seam FB a good idea along with the four seam FB and change up three finger change or circle depending on kids hand size. Thank you Cards Dave33

If nothing else they are a bit less likely to overthrow with a two seamer.

My 12’s throw 75% 2 seamers … great movement, especially for the change.

That’s what I am teaching my 11Us.

4-Seam, 2-Seam, and Change-Up.

cardsdave, speaking from experience, the single best thing I think I did with my son was to have him throw the 2 seamer about 85 percent of the time. He throws the 4 seamer high/or high and inside when he wants a kid to chase a pitch. His 2 seamer tails inside and he gets alot of ground ball outs with this pitch. The point I am getting at is if you concentrate on your fastball everything will become easier as a pitcher. Some young kids get caught up on curveballs and slurve balls but by HighSchool they are toast because they didn’t develop a fastball for a strike during LittleLeague and Pony.

I think your premise is very good. Change-ups are good to develop at an early age because young kids can gain a confidence in it, something I am still battling with my 13yr old. I thought he had it but currently resorting back to his old ways.

Thank you for the responses I will take all of them into consideration.

nothing wrong with a 2 seamer, most of those big league pitchers i would assume pronate their wrist to get that sick movement, like screwball movement, but a normal 2 seamer isn’t anymore harmful then a 4 seamer

I’d also recommend throwing primarily 2 seamers unless one of your 12 year olds throws gas thats unhittable

i think throwing the 2 seamers your kids will lose a little bit of control

By all means teach the two seamer! Most guys that do not teach or allow the 2 seamer are coaches worried about walks & wins rather than developing their pitchers, Ian.

Forgot about this post. yeah we threw it all this year. some guy’s better than others. Thanks Ian

Have hit try the 3/4 arm slot. Good movement for 2-seamers.

well i am a 13 year old pitcher and i throw a two seam. It is a good pitch for this age as long as they do n ot snap the wrist this may cause harm to the tendon in your arm. :smiley:

I love 2 seamers (while i pronate mine) it is a great pitch especially if you get enough movement to cause mainly ground balls. Teach it by all means, but make sure they dont pronate! Granted kids will try things when your not looking, i found trying to get my 2 seamer to move killed its speed, so make sure they throw it hard before they want it to move.

never too young. allthough a lot of pitchers snap their wrist down for more movement. and he is too young for that. if you want more run pur more pessure on the index and for more sink (ground balls) apply pressure with the middle. great with a runner on first

Honestly I have only been throwing my 4 seam when I really need an exact spot (usually a high cheese strike out pitch), I can locate the 2 seam just as well but I would rather work away with that pitch.

For what it’s worth, my son has thrown the 2-seamer 90 - 95% of the time since he starting pitching at 9. It’s his go to comfort pitch.

One of the first questions I ask young pitchers is…how do you hold your fb? Usually the answer is, 4 seams. Then I ask, why? Of course the answer is…well, the 2 seamer moves too much, and I can’t control it as well.

What a problem to have … a fb that moves TOO much !

Moral to the story…focus on the process, not immediate results…and throw the 2 seamer ( as mentioned previously, change off it as well ).

I love that comment, [quote]focus on the process, not immediate results[/quote] that really is a great way to look at coaching or teaching anything, it could be baseball or marbles.

A case in point from the major leagues.
Jim Brosnan, a very good relief pitcher in the National League, tells of the time when he was with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1959. One day he was talking to pitching coach Clyde King, and he was complaining about both his fast balls, the two-seamer and the four-seamer, neither of which was working for him. King, a very astute individual, called in a catcher and had Brosnan do some throwing for about fifteen minutes using both pitches. Then he advised Brosnan to drop the four-seamer, which wasn’t working for him, and go with the two-seamer which was working for him and which was obviously more effective. So Brosnan went with the two-eamer and became a slider-sinker pitcher, and later on he added a forkball which the opposing hitters didn’t like at all.
So, if the kid is more comfortable with the two-seamer, by all means let him stick with it. He’ll get a lot of ground-ball outs, a most desirable result. :slight_smile: 8)

That would probably be a good idea to have your kids learn the two seam fastball. It is usually slightly slower than the four-seam and has more movement. It generally sinks downward, sometimes with a little sideways movement.
Two seam fastballs generally generate more groundballs than four-seam fastballs. If your defense is pretty good, the two seam is a good choice.

Only thing I disagree with is that a 2 seam fastball will be slower, my fastball either 2 or 4 seam is the same.