Tony Pluta Pitching Analysis 16YO RHP

Hello! My name is Tony Pluta, I’m a sophomore at St. Viator HS in Illinois, and I’m including a video that has three pitches each from front, side and in-game (these were taken in January). My FB is 85, my change is upper 70s, my CB is 70. My concern is whether I am sinking into my back leg enough and getting enough drive out of that back leg, but really I’d love to hear any feedback.

“Tony”

“ My concern is whether I am sinking into my back leg enough and getting enough drive out of that back leg, but really I’d love to hear any feedback.”

Your concern is driven by “old school” novice opinion that does not match up to what is really Happening Kinesiologically, not your fault!

No forwards power starts until Humerus is fully outwardly rotated. All contractions before this are lengthening contractions. All contractions after this are shortening contractions and only these contribute to Velocity. This means there is no saved forwards momentum dropping in!

You have 2 Kinetic chains to accomplish. The first Kinetic chain allows you to lengthen the muscles used in the second Kinetic chain.

The second Kinetic chain that shortens the drive muscles starts as soon as the first one ends. This is when the Humerus is fully outwardly rotated and it ends long after the benchmark glove foot plants.

All mechanics when you drop in should be performed as smoothly and on time as possible to achieve proper sinuous arrivals. This is best done with nominal effort! When full length in all body segments is concluded then maximal effort can be applied to garner the best results in targeting and power.

We work best when applying the mechanics that we are built with and use most as bipedal animals.

You use the traditional splits drive with a long stride where your ball side foot is parallel with the pitchers plate. Not optimal in that you lengthen by using the smallest muscles in your legs that run down the sides of your legs (Tensor fasciae Latae) then come to a complete stop when your glove side leg plants. This means you and most others only apply force from your glove side leg because your Humerus is still inwardly rotated and not ready to throw.

Better to turn your ball side foot at least 20 degrees towards home plate by hanging your first 3 Toes over the front of the pitchers plate, more towards how we walk or run. This will allow you to stride shorter so your all ready pretty good Humeral arrival to length will be closer to perfect and help you stay taller (Tony does this well) improving your Torso rotational ability while driving and recovering 180 degrees. This also allows you to use both legs instead of one.

Striding shorter has the glove side leg be able to pull back better when it extends.

Always perform Forearm pronated pitch types where your Elbow pops up during drive.

Tony welcome, stick around and someone will be along to give you some useful advice. Since you are probably wondering what the heck Dirtberry was talking about, have a look at this video and you will see what he is trying to convince you to do.

Don’t bother looking for any successful college or pro pitchers that pitch this way as you won’t find any. Like I said, someone else will be along shortly to give you some useful advice.

Thank you for the input! I did some research on the Mike Marshall method and I don’t know that it is something that I’ll pursue. I’m not looking to entirely revamp my throwing motion at this time, just see if there’s some minor adjustment I might make to be a little more effective using my current technique.

Hi Tony,
Very nice smooth delivery. I like your overall rhythm and tempo. You do a nice job with early weight shift while getting gathered and loaded and keeping the entire bottom of your foot planted flat on the ground for as long as you can. By keeping your bottom foot flat on the ground you are able it generate great ground force and use that to drive down the mound.

I do like your back leg action. You sit well into your stride without getting to quad dominate in your delivery. The reason you don’t get to quad dominate is because you are able to keep your drive foot flat on the ground until the last possible second. Pitchers who lift their heel up prematurely in their drive actually start rotation early and lose velocity. Look at your picture and you can see how far you get down the mound before rotation begins. Well done.

You also unwind into foot plant nicely. Your throwing arm arrives cocked and you have good hip/shoulder separation. Nice front side stabilization through ball release. Your glove arm firms up well and you have a strong stable landing leg. For your finish and deceleration, your hips get through well and you have a nice smooth deceleration.

As for your question about sitting into your stride, yes you do. Could it me more, sure but you are way ahead of the curve in this part of the delivery.

Keep hitting the weights and get those legs like tree trunks and you will see a velocity bump. If you are concerned about sitting more into you delivery, take a look at this clip of a Cardinal pitcher working working on just that.

LTP%20Tony%20P 3tx4f4

Steve C

Thank you, Mister C, for the very in-depth analysis of my delivery! You really covered a lot of ground, and it’s good to know that you consider my pitching form to be fundamentally sound. I’ve never really seen how far I get down the mound; it’s something that has come naturally as I work on my load phase. I’ll make sure to spend as much time as I can in the weight room and on my other conditioning work.

Thanks for the GIF; that looks like Jack Flaherty, and he’s a beast! It just goes to show that the best guys work the hardest.

Thanks again, and I’ll check back in as my season (hopefully!) progresses.

• Tony