Tommy John?

i heard that tommy john makes pitchers throw faster more because of the rehab other than the surgery itsself. my question is for the pitchers who just get the surgery for the gain of speed why dont they just follow the rehab procedures other than getting the full surgery …

this can be a stupid post … im just curious.

“THE PITCHERS WHO JUST GET THE SURGERY FOR THE GAIN OF SPEED WHY DONT THEY JUST FOLLOW THE REHAB PROCEDURES OTHER THAN GETTING THE FULL SURGERY”

No one at the mlb level has surgery of this nature for any reason except injury. I wouldn’t put it past some wannabe, people do crazy stuff all the time…heck the “Jackass” franchise makes huge bucks just showing nothing but morons being morons…but a serious pitcher with a serious chance just wouldn’t do such a thing.

3up3down,
A lot of pitchers have followed the rehab without the injury. Joel Zumaya went through a program which is based on TJ rehab and made a pretty significant gain in velocity.

Please don’t type in ALL CAPS. It is considered poor manners, like shouting.

There was a long article in the new york times (i think) a couple weeks ago about high school pitchers getting elbow reconstruction without needing it for this reason. Gogo parents! :roll:

I’m skeptical of that claim. The reason for the claim that pitchers throw faster after TJ surgery is likely based on a comparison to pre-surgery velocity as opposed to pre-injury velocity. There’s a difference. Most likely, such pitchers went through a period where their arms were already injured and velocity had dropped off but their arms weren’t injured to the point of needing surgery.

BTW, no respectable doctor would perform TJ surgery without it being necessary.