tommy john surgery

I am getting Tommy john surgery on the 5th of January, apparently my UCL has been torn since I was about 15 (19 now and in college) so I was wondering, with a lot of hard work obviously for rehab, if I can expect any velocity gains? I throw about 78-80 now but haven’t been gunned healthy in years

Thank you

Your rehab will involve a supporting diet and lot of hydration(fluids). Don’t be surprised if your water intake increases noticeably. Water will allow the nutrients and other processes of the body to assist in the healing and restructuring process from the operation. In addition, if you’re put on medication, hydration(water) is a side-by-side partner to your medication.

You more than likely will be put on a baseline of activity - exercises and charting yourself for certain moves and motions, discomfort tracking, and all kinds of feedback on how your medication is helping your recovery.

You do not want to be your own doctor or trainer here. You’ll need to follow every aspect of your recovery for quality of life issues - NOT PITCHING. You don’t want to “wing” it, from here on out, only to find out when your 50, there’s a lot that you can’t do. This surgery is going to impact other parts of your body. Other body functions are going to kick-n, trying to take up the slack of that part that was injured and had to have surgery. Your going to be doing a lot more with the other side of your body, and your back. Don’t let this slip your attention span. So, don’t force it.
Pay attention to every aspect of your recovery plan - it’s that important.

As far as pitching is concerned - first establish a baseline of where you were before. You’re starting all over again. For instance - you’ll have to refit yourself how a baseball feels in the hand, how your shoulders rotate and move back and forth, how flexible are your shoulder’s radius, and so on. But - under no circumstances will you do so on your own. You must be cleared and then given limits. Make sure your physician knows that your pitch - even better yet, a physician that treats athletes. And going hand-n-hand, a therapist that also deals with athletes, especially those that throw - pitchers/ballplayers, quarterbacks, javelin, shot puts, discus, etc.

With respect to addressing your question head on - don’t concern yourself with velocity. Your recovery back to as normal is your only priority.

On a final note, you must be very proactive here for yourself. Very few amateurs have the insight into the why and what orbiting this kind of injury. Most, if not all, leave the entire process up to the medical people involved. Don’t go there. Use the body of the remarks that I mentioned above to give you some idea of the questions that you should ask from the professionals that are helping you. You want timely direction:

• When should I expect to reach each level of recovery?
  • What will those levels of recovery be for me?
  • Are there things that I should be aware of that spell trouble for me?
  • Who should I respond to with advice on how I’m doing so far, and what should I say?
  • How many people are in the loop here? Should they all be on the same page with my progress?

In addition, you are an amateur, a youngster that is trying to grow and develop a total person. You’re going to go job hunting soon, career building, perhaps settle down and be the bread winner for a family. THESE are your priorities now. Don’t be pushed into “taking one for the team”. If you play college ball, some coahes can be very impressive and dynamic, “bringing you around” to see things their way. Be careful here. The only team that you have now is the one that’s waiting for you in the world of life. So be careful with yourself, use reasonable common sense, and trust your gut feelings. Your folks can be your greatest supporters right about now.

I sincerely wish you the best with your recovery.

Coach B.

ps
I’m not suggesting to drop baseball - just be reasonable with yourself.

And keep one thing in mind—many pitchers who have had the Tommy John surgery—or any other extensive surgery—come back and pitch better than ever. Like David Cone in 1996. Sure, it’ll take time and rehab and all the rest of it, but don’t let yourself get pushed into anything. Take all the time you need, follow the doctors’ instructions and get back into it. Have a good New Year, and God bless. 8)

Life gives you lemons, make lemonade, good luck.

Brian

[quote=“buwhite”]Life gives you lemons, make lemonade, good luck.

Brian[/quote]

When life gives you lemons make grape juice and watch the world go “wtf”?

Ten Reasons To
Accentuate the Negative

After reviewing the published literature on concentrics versus eccentrics,
Dr. Bjorn Alber, a Swedish sports medicine physician,
concluded in 2008 that… Eccentric training:

Involves a heavier-than-normal overload — which means more force output and more muscle fibers recruited.
Recruits more fast-twitch fibers — which contribute predominantly to muscular size.
Insures a higher level of stress per motor unit — which supplies greater stimulation of the involved muscle fibers.
Requires greater neural adaptation — which reinforces cross-education of strength gains from one limb or side to the other.
Causes more microscopic fiber tears — which ignite the muscle-building process.
Works the entire joint structure — which results in more strength, stability, range of motion, and healing properties.
Applies well to post-surgical therapy — which is advantageous in rehabilitation.
Maintains strength gains longer — which counter the detraining process.
Transfers strength gains to concentric work — which is valuable in lifting performance.
Allows greater work in less time — which means more efficient training sessions and faster results.
Note: Dr. Alber’s overview was assembled from discussions I had with
him in Stockholm, Sweden, on November 17, 2008, and follow-up
e-mails from him on December 18, 2008.

You wouldn’t be working your injured arm but the rest of your body.

Dont quit like grape juice but I really like the idea :smiley:

Some pitchers report greater velocity after Tommy John than before but they compare their post-surgery, post-rehab velocity to that from when they were at least partially injured. Also, the rehab work may be more comprehensive than anything they did before they were injured.

Point is, many times these comparisons do NOT compare apples to apples. Take Coach Baker’s advice. Focus on following the prescribed rehab protocols. Put in the work. Let the velocity happen.

Good luck!

Some pitchers could have also had minor injuries or just normal wear-and-tear inside their arm that they didn’t know about that was there before the surgery. (I think someone else mentioned this already.)

Good luck with your TJ. I had it when I was 17. The one thing to remember is to do your rehab EXACTLY what is printed, no more no less. I know its hard to want to come back faster but trust me when I say that if you do EVERYTHING EXACTLY that is printed or told to you it will help you significantly.

And yes…I did see velocity gain…but take your time and do your rehab correctly.

I say, when life gives you lemons, get some sugar and eggwhites and make a delicious lemon-meringue pie.