Tommy John Surgery 2019

I tore my UCL during October 2018, my first year of JUCO baseball. I received Tommy John surgery in November. I am trying to get back into the gym but honestly dont know where to start with my arm. I wanna focus on getting my arm strength back, and making it even stronger. I also wanna get my body ready physically for next season. Does anyone have any tips or any good routines to use?

JFerioli,

“I tore my UCL during October 2018, my first year of JUCO baseball.”

Were you aware then and are you aware now as to what causes this pathology?

I received Tommy John surgery in November.”

Your title says TJ 2019 ? Did you receive the surgery in 2018 or 2019?

Either way you are far enough away from the surgery to start aggressive training.

We start mechanical mitigation at 12 weeks post surgery after Dr’s release.

Our sport specific rehab has you competing in 9 months but this comes with a mechanical timing make over that eliminates UCL over stress.

“ I am trying to get back into the gym but honestly don’t know where to start with my arm.”

You would do the best for your self if you visited Dr. Mike Marshall’s web site and learn why you produced this pathomechanic first!!!

Then perform his High school 120 day high school training program, this program is how we rehab UCL recipients. because your an adult you can then start his adult recoil cycles by adding resistance weight at this point.

You will need to start training with 10 lb wrist weights and a 6 lb lead or lady shot put steel ball.

“I wanna focus on getting my arm strength back, and making it even stronger.”

This program has been perfected by an expert in the field who’s first TJ rehab was Tommy John! Tommy still holds the record for post op service.

“ I also wanna get my body ready physically for next season.”

You should have started 12 weeks out from surgery, this way you could completed 5 months worth of rehab and could have competed during fall and winter.

“Does anyone have any tips or any good routines to use?”

Tip o the day “define insanity” the way Albert E. did and you will be OK.

jferioli,

You say you had TJ surgery and that you want to regain arm strength. But what you don’t say is what, if any, doctor-supervised rehab you have done. So the only safe assumption I can make is that you haven’t done any. Based on that, the only appropriate suggestion I can make is to revisit your TJ doctor and have him prescribe or recommend a rehab program.