To throw or not to throw?

Hey guys, sorry for the hiatus from the forums. I’ve been ridiculously busy. I need some advice on where to go with my throwing program and such.

I’m done for the summer with summer games, and as some of you know I won’t be returning to my school in the fall. Instead, I will be studying abroad in Spain. I plain to maintain a full workout schedule, if not more intense than ever before. My question has to do with throwing.

Do I take time off from throwing? If so, for how long?
I basically have from now until next January when my coaches will see me throw next. I just need some advice from people as to where to take my throwing program (Kyle B., Lantz, Lefty, etc.).

Keep in mind, I was a workhorse for my summer team. I pitched a ton of innings compared to previous years and my arm always felt great. This is the first time in a very long time I stayed healthy all year long.

Many pitching coaches say the same thing: throw every day. Even if it’s just twenty minutes or so of playing catch, throw every day, because that will help maintain your arm strength and flexibility. Just because you’re going abroad to study doesn’t mean put everything else on the shelf! If you can find a catcher—and they do play baseball in Spain—take the time to play catch and work on some things. That way you’ll be ready for whatever the coaches throw at you when you get back. 8) :slight_smile:

I don’t believe in taking time off of throwing, only pitching. That’s just our personal feelings on things backed up by in-house research and finding inconsistencies in existing research on “overuse.”

What about the ER and IR changes throughout a season? Does that not exist and continue to be an issue, even when off of a mound? If I simply take a break from pitching, do you mean still long toss (Alan Jaeger style) or simply only work back to 90 feet and keep it light for a few months?

IR and ER changes absolutely happen and must be accounted for. I wouldn’t suggest otherwise. But that is where other people and I disagree, the idea that we need time off of throwing to “regain” IR and lose some ER doesn’t mean it’s the only way (or even best way) to do so.

IR can be improved through various mobility exercises and shoulder and elbow integrity can be maintained through a lot of methods.

EDIT: I did not answer your questions. I am sorry.

We don’t long toss much in the winter due to being in sunny Seattle. But we still use weighted baseballs and run and gun throws with 5 oz balls. We take 5-7 weeks off mound pitching though.

[quote=“kyleb”]IR and ER changes absolutely happen and must be accounted for. I wouldn’t suggest otherwise. But that is where other people and I disagree, the idea that we need time off of throwing to “regain” IR and lose some ER doesn’t mean it’s the only way (or even best way) to do so.

IR can be improved through various mobility exercises and shoulder and elbow integrity can be maintained through a lot of methods.

EDIT: I did not answer your questions. I am sorry.

We don’t long toss much in the winter due to being in sunny Seattle. But we still use weighted baseballs and run and gun throws with 5 oz balls. We take 5-7 weeks off mound pitching though.[/quote]
Alright, so what are some ways you suggest that I fix IR/ER issues? I’ve noticed some loss in IR/gain in ER but not a ton. They are almost within healthy ranges and it is nowhere near a GIRD issue. I also am focusing on fixing my more prominent pitching wear which is in my hips as well as loss of proper lumbar extension/thoracic mobility. Those are the glaring issues that I have noticed. I’ve never had elbow issues.

Thanks for the response though, I’m trying to weigh my issues and find where to go from here.

Zita, as for finding a catcher in Spain, that may be extremely difficult. I do know of another guy who will be out there with my that played football and ran track at my college. Maybe he can simply play catch with me, otherwise, almost all the other guys in my program are women and finding a spainaird who plays baseball is difficult. We will see though. I do not plan on taking the entire semester off of throwing, as that would be foolish at best.

Actually, Kyle, you answered those questions very well. You pointed out, as we all well know, that there’s a huge difference between throwing and pitching, and in such circumstances as CS describes the important thing is to keep throwing, and do such exercises for the arm and shoulder as need be. The pitching can come later, where one is really working on stuff. And as I said earlier, if CS can find a catcher, he can—as several people have described it—throw the c.r.a.p. out of the ball!
And these are the best ways to maintain arm strength and flexibility. 8)

Sleeper stretch, isometric holds, that kind of thing works well. I don’t endorse this routine but some of my guys have used it before they used our post-throwing cooldown method (not for sale yet, sorry):

http://www.acceleratedarmrecovery.com/

Lee is a good guy and is very knowledgeable. Might be worth looking into, the price is quite reasonable.

EDIT: I should clarify - just because I don’t endorse it doesn’t mean I think it’s bad. In fact, I think it’s very good. I just don’t put my stamp of approval on it. :slight_smile:

[quote=“kyleb”]Sleeper stretch, isometric holds, that kind of thing works well. I don’t endorse this routine but some of my guys have used it before they used our post-throwing cooldown method (not for sale yet, sorry):

http://www.acceleratedarmrecovery.com/

Lee is a good guy and is very knowledgeable. Might be worth looking into, the price is quite reasonable.

EDIT: I should clarify - just because I don’t endorse it doesn’t mean I think it’s bad. In fact, I think it’s very good. I just don’t put my stamp of approval on it. :)[/quote]
I will definitely check it out.

kyleb,

Any suggestions for a 14U ball team? How long off from pitching? Any months of rest?

CS…
Have used the Accelerated Arm Recovery from Lee with the shoulder tube and isometric holds and have had good results. Really good program in my estimation.

Fearsomefour,
I bought the AAR system from Lee a little after Kyle said it was a good buy. I don’t have the shoulder tube and there is no way I would get it to Spain where I am currently living, but so far the system seems good. I’ve not dealt with arm pain in awhile now, I just know that I’ve been pitching for quite awhile without a break. I made the decision to shut down for a couple weeks for a multitude of reasons, one being that I am traveling a ton and throwing, let alone lifting would be difficult. I start throwing the same day I start classes, 1 Oct.

Cool.
Spain is fantastic I hope you are enjoying your time there.
The tube is worth the $100 or so investment in my opinion or there may be some cheaper variation out there.
The isometric holds are an important part of that program as well. My son never iced until his coach his senior year made him ice (Im sure because he saw it on tv)…this is a much, much better option in my opinion.