To pitch or not to pitch?

Hey everyone, I’m new to the site as you can see. :smiley:

Anyway, I’m 15 years old and I played Frosh-Soph and JV on and off this year as a freshman. I did not pitch too much this year but I did pretty solid as I wasn’t a core pitching component in our rotation. However, I am currently playing my final year at the Babe Ruth level and am pitching a lot so far into the season. I have allowed 3 runs so far this season in about 25 innings of work and have only walked 5 batters to go along with 22 SO (Yes it is very easy). I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on whether I should try and improve my pitching attributes in the off-season or just stick with hitting. I am absolutely enthralled by pitching but I’m not sure I want to slack off on my hitting.

Why not work on both? You can always throw even on a day when you’re not throwing off of a mound in a bullpen (trust me I live in a cold weather state and is still do it), then on days when you throw a bullpen session you can still take b.p. if you want or maybe hit off of a tee or soft toss.

And then you’ll be known as a good hitting pitcher.
I remember way back, when the woods were full of pitchers who knew what to do with a bat, and I’m not just talking about being able to sacrifice-bunt, I’m talking about swinging the bat and getting hits and, yes, driving in runs. This was particularly true of the American League, long before the advent of the designated hitter. Red Ruffing was one of the first, and I could reel off a long list of those that came after—for example, Joe Page, the fireballing Yankee reliever who was often used as a pinch-hitter because he had real home-run power. Allie Reynolds was no slouch, and neither was Ed Lopat who looked as if he didn’t even know how to hold a bat—but when Lopat came to bat, especially with runners on base, the outfield had to play straight away and very deep and just hope and pray that he didn’t hit one over their heads! There was Bob Lemon. Early Wynn. Mel Parnell. Virgil Trucks. And over in the National League, the number of pitchers who could hit was legion…and even today, there are some who can hold their own at bat, like Jason Marquis who is known as a Good Hitting Pitcher. Yes indeed, you can do both; you can pitch, and you can hit, and during the off-season you can certainly work to refine both. :slight_smile: 8)