To old to start pitching?

Due to illness my son’s growth was stunted from 6th grade to 10th grade. He excells at every sport he tries…has great eye hand cordination, learned to juggle in an afternoon…
I would like to know if at 19 years old, 5’10" & 165Lbs… if it would be to late for him to pick up pitching…he’s left handed if that helps.

Carlos Marmol and Randy Wells, both Cubs pitchers, didn’t start pitching until they were in pro ball at 20-21 years old. Converted from catchers to pitchers. Neither had pitched a day in their life prior.

So you’re not too old. But you’d better start making thing happen quickly :slight_smile:

You never know, the only issue I see is where to get experience pitching. You might try the adult baseball leagues that have been popping up, hey you never know until he tries, if you read here, pitching is way more than just throwing the ball into the strike zone though.

That’s just what Ed Lopat told me once—"There’s more to pitching than just throwing the ball and daring the batter to hit it."
Yes. the adult baseball leagues are a very good idea (age 25 and up). If you can find one in your area, why not hook up with one of the teams in the league? And you can work on your fundamentals, even as you’re having fun playing the game. I say go to it. 8)

Better late than never! I heard of some stories of now major league pitchers that never pitched or even played baseball in highschool. Everything has to start somewhere.

depends on his work ethic. learning to pitch requires an enormous amout of work and repetition

[quote=“Mike Jay”]Due to illness my son’s growth was stunted from 6th grade to 10th grade. He excells at every sport he tries…has great eye hand cordination, learned to juggle in an afternoon…
I would like to know if at 19 years old, 5’10" & 165Lbs… if it would be to late for him to pick up pitching…he’s left handed if that helps.[/quote]

If he works hard, he should be able to excel (or at least be somewhat successful) at pitching.
It will take hard work, however, if he truly wants to succeed.

Never too old to pitch!

On my 60th birthday, I took the mound, got my distance, adusted my glasses, tossed the rosin bag around a bit, the went to work.

I faced three batters that time around. My first set of pitches were heaters, right on the outside corners - strike one, two, three. My second round of pitches were a combo of heaters and breaking stuff - again, strikes one, two, and three. My third round were all sliders with the same results.

I made my way to the dugout - not bad for a 60 year old rosin-rat. Accross the field my family was there to cheer me on, as were the first three batters that I faced.

They came over to shake my hand:
Batter one - my nephew, 8 years old, my other nephew who was 10, and the most dangerous hitter of the all was my niece who was 14.

I do remember though going into rehab after that appearance - soaked in the hot tub for about two hours, went thourg a bottle of Absorbine Jr., and lots of hot coco. After that - my Mrs informated me that I was given my outright release! :ughh:

Coach B.

That’s hilarious, Coach!

My friends tell me that I hold the record for most career coach-pitch strikeouts! I think they’re trying to tell me that I didn’t know how to develop 7 year-old hitters!!!

Hey it doesn’t matter if they are 7 or 27 if they take the box they are a batter and the pitcher in you kick in…LOL

Well, in my opinion you can never be too old.
It’s only a question of practice and dedication, also the goal you want to reach