To Mr. Ellis

You emailed me and told me to post this question here and you will respond to it so here it is and thanks in advance,

Well coach I took a break from baseball this year. Im 15 years old about 5’6
and prolly near 120 LBS. I have never been a pitcher before but next season
which starts in January of 2007 I would like to possibly try out as a pitcher.
What tips canyou give me

While you wait for Steve to answer, I’ll throw in a couple of things.

First how well do you throw? At the beginning, at least, pitching is just a modified form of throwing. If you can’t throw well, then it’s hard to pitch well.

Second, how is your control when you are just throwing around? Can you hit your partner’s glove without making him have to move it?

In general, my advice is that you should focus on the glove and let it rip. Don’t aim and above all else don’t think.

While you wait for Steve to answer, I’ll throw in a couple of things.

First how well do you throw? At the beginning, at least, pitching is just a modified form of throwing. If you can’t throw well, then it’s hard to pitch well.

Second, how is your control when you are just throwing around? Can you hit your partner’s glove without making him have to move it?

In general, my advice is that you should focus on the glove and let it rip. Don’t aim and above all else don’t think.[/quote]

im a good thrower for my size I amaze people with my arm. Several of my teammates say I have good control. Velocity might not be amazing thought conpared to a kid on my team that is 15 yrs old and throws 87-90 MPH already.

If you’ve got a good arm, which it sounds like you do, then I would work on control. That means the ability to keep the ball down in general and to hit the target consistently.

You also need to work on pitching with a batter in the box. Too many guys are great pitchers when it’s just them and a catcher but then fall apart (e.g. lose velocity and/or control) as soon as a batter steps in the box. The key to this is focusing on the glove and ignoring the batter.

I’m just like that. I remember my last outing (last Sunday). On my pre-game warmup I was throwing great with my catcher. I was spotting my fastball well and I threw 3 curveballs, all with great movement and in for strike.

Then came the game, and guess what? No control whatsoever… Actually I started well, throwing 3 straight strikes (one didn’t count because the umpire did not call PLAY BALL! haha), but then I lose focus and could not hit the strike zone anymore.

And it’s been like this lately. I’m doing well when I’m alone with my catcher, then comes a batter and I simply lose control, and maybe velocity.

It might be because I try to overthrow or start thinking too much, I don’t know.

More likely than not it’s due to thinking.

You need to focus on the glove (completely zone out the batter) and let it rip (but not any more so than normal).

If you ask anyone on my team im a great fielder but I still have the fear of embarrassing myself. But while batting its my biggest fear I mean hey I know all the hitting mechanics and have a nice swing from the right side and left side but last year I was nailed right on the side of the nose and we don’t have face masks on the helmets. Lucky it didn’t hurt much lol but that is now become a fear. Now pitching wise I think I could keep my consentration.

I just hate how I can’t stop being scared because I know I could become one heck of a player. I mean I started playing baseball in the 11-12 year old league no experience before that and im way better then kids who have been playing 5 or 6 years before that lol. I watch TONS of baseball heck I haven’t missed a yankee game in 2 years which has helped me a lot. I always wanted to pitch but It may be late now since im gonna be 16 next year with no experience. But batting wise I need to some how get some confidence

Throw. Get your arm in shape. That’ll, of course, be key – and you’re at a good spot to discuss the types of throwing you should be doing.

I throw as much as possible. Im actually gonna begin throwing and hitting in October.

So why don’t you wear a batting helmet with a cage?

Hockey players do.

So why don’t you wear a batting helmet with a cage?

Hockey players do.[/quote]

I don’t think we are allowed to noone we play does and we don’t either.

Yep, the make all kinds of stuff to add armor to the helmet.
Link
http://store.linedrive.com/batting-helmet-accessories.html

You could try wearing it until you feel comfortable at the plate again (just a thought).

[quote=“kc86”]Yep, the make all kinds of stuff to add armor to the helmet.
Link
http://store.linedrive.com/batting-helmet-accessories.html

You could try wearing it until you feel comfortable at the plate again (just a thought).[/quote]

I will look into it nice idea thanks

One more thing I mean I have tried throwing off the mounds before and I have a lot of trouble pushing off the mound which I believe also doesn’t give me velocity since i struggle pushing off

In my experience, the rules only say that you have to. I’ve never come across a rule that says that you can’t.

I think cages are generally a good idea and I put them on all of my helmets (11U).

One of my pitchers lost focus and broke a kid’s nose with a fastball a couple weeks ago (the batter turned into the pitch to get out of the box).

Don’t worry about pushing off the mound.

it’s unlikely to give you much velocity at this point and is much more likely to cause problems (e.g. rushing). Instead, spend your time focusing on getting your hips rotating well in front of your shoulders.