To many pitches

Im in grade 10 this year and I know I throw to many pitches but don’t which ones to drop as I can get good movement and control on all of them

I throw a
Fastball (2 and 4 seams)
circle change up
overhand curve (12-6)
knuckle curve
cutter
splitter

Depends on your age. I’d recommend sticking with the fastballs, considering that a single pitch, and the circle change and using either the knuckle curve or 12-6 curve as a third pitch. In the end, only you know what you are most comfortable with and what will work the best. The most important thing at your age is to throw mostly fastballs and to make the change your primary off speed pitch.

Which ones are effective?
I’ve heard from more than one pro or professional coach that the best pitch in baseball is the well placed fastball. Having 3 good pitches (Fastball, off speed and breaking ball) you can throw for strikes any place in the count at your age and place will give you the ability to keep the opposition off balance and keep it to a manageable enough level so you can improve/perfect those pitches as you move on. Remember even the very best major leaguers use 4 pitches at most (With cuts and variations), closers use 2.
It’s good that you realize that you shouldn’t have a 47 pitch repitory, keep thinking and listening.

Not much more to add considering the suggestions given you by both CADad and jd. I agree with CADad that you should be throwing mostly FB. I also agree with jd that you’ve “got your head on straight” in realizing that too many pitches are not good. Three pitches (FB, curve, & change-up) are fine for your age.

Considering with the FB alone you’ve got a minimum of 4 pitch grips -
4 seam-balanced (thumb directly under forming a “V”), 4 seam-unbalanced (thumb slid to the left side of center with ball facing catcher), 2 seam-unbalanced - cut fastball (thumb to the right of center with ball facing catcher), 2 seam-unbalanced - sinker (thumb to the left of center with ball facing catcher). Add to that your 12/6 curve ball and the circle change-up and you’re definitely “good to go”!.

If you change speeds, mix pitches, and vary location - (remembering that any pitch you take into a game has to be able to be thrown for a strike) you should have a fine season.

The fact that you stated in your post that you knew you were throwing too many different pitches tells me that you were already willing/wanting to cut down on that number. You just weren’t sure which ones to keep in your repetoire.

Fortunately, as you have found, there are some very knowledgable people on this web site who are always willing to help (like the good advice given you by CADad and jd). That’s why I enjoy it so much.

Good Luck!

Thanks to everyone for the advice I’ll try and cut that number down to 4 and master those pitches whichever I find to be most effiective

Guys:

I don’t really see that he is throwing a lot of different pitches if he can control them. Think about it. He throws a straight FB, 4-seam), He throws a FB that sink and moves toward his throwing side shoulder, TSS, (2-seam). He throws a FB that moves away from his TSS, (cutter). He throws a CU that should be moving down and toward his TSS and CU that moves down and away from his TSS, (knuckle curve). With the curve ball he really is only throwing three pitches. Unless his splitter is his best pitch, I’d suggest he consider dropping it for now.

The approach he might take then is when the FB is called, choose which of the three he wants to throw based on the hitter and the situation. When the CU is called same thing. Does he want to fade it away from a lefty or jam a righty down and in? Throw the circle. Does he want to fade it way from a right handed hitter? Throw the knuckle curve. The coach and the catcher only have three pitches to call and can dictate location, but he chooses the movement he wants. :slight_smile:

I agree with 3rdgenerationnation. If you have command of all of those pitches, that gives you great flexibility in choosing a pitch vs. a specific hitter. It also makes it tougher for a hitter to adjust if the pitch movement is variable. I would definitely keep the changeup and master it because it’s always going to be useful. Good luck.

The main reason I recommend limiting the number of pitches is the amount of practice time one can give to each pitch. If one can maintain command of all those pitches without practicing any one of them much at all then fine, but I doubt that’s the case for most pitchers.

I’m in total agreement with CADad, particularly since khut is still only a sophomore in high school.

Nothing beats a good fastball and an even better changeup, I used to think it was overrated until I tried it and it really is all its cracked up to be. In my view they are the best 1-2 pitches in all of baseball.
I personally think you should perfect both your fastballs, your changeup (maybe circle change?), and your 12-6 curve, throw in a knuckle-curve every now and then and thats a very devastating arsenal.

I’d only add to what CAD said, I’ve seen kids that age get muddled with attempting to throw all of their arsenal instead of establishing one and working off of it.