Tips

ok guys,decided last year to get back into baseball,I played in the fall in a mens league and had pretty good success(minus control)
I throw really just fastballs and sliders…
If you have any ints or tips I would appreciate all…
Im 37 and I playe on a 35 and up team and 25 and up

i think your opening your hips up to early and as a result your falling off to the side, try to focus all of your force and momentum in a straight line to your target, i had this same problem
btw im 15 and all my pointers are from coaches ive been with(many high level coaches, elite ball, canadian national team)

[quote=“FranDaMan”]i think your opening your hips up to early and as a result your falling off to the side, try to focus all of your force and momentum in a straight line to your target, i had this same problem
btw im 15 and all my pointers are from coaches ive been with(many high level coaches, elite ball, canadian national team)[/quote]

thanks,i do fall off drastically sometimes…i will def try to adjust that

Couple of things to consider. One is that it looks like you sweep your lead leg into landing which could definitely make your hips open too early and get you spinning down the mound a bit making you fall way off to the side. Now keep in mind you see successful pitchers sweep their leg so I wouldn’t say it’s automatically a problem but if you are having control issues it’s something to think about. Get your hips moving early and lead leg more down and out to target.

Another thing to consider when finishing up sideways is your glove side. If you are pulling glove/elbow in you are much more likely to spin out. Firm the glove up over the front foot. Coach Corral from University of Memphis posted a drill (Smith Glove drill I think is what it was called) last week under hip/shoulder subject with a drill that may help.

A final idea. Don Cooper, the long time pitching coach for the White Sox, says he will tell players that are “spinning” down the mound to picture themselves throwing down a hallway and if they spin out they’ll bounce into the wall. I was working with a little leaguer who was athletic but really spun out and tried working on glove side and it helped but still struggled a bit. But the “hallway” idea really clicked and his control got much better. Just some thoughts, not an expert by any stretch but hope this helps.

I think I would work on glove side and “staying in the hallway” first and if that works leave leg sweep alone until you see the results of those adjustments. The leg just seems like it may be the bigger adjustment to make. Some may say, and could be right, that “leg sweep” is causing other problems but I’d start with simpler adjustment. One step at a time.

Good Luck.

Couple of things, first because you are pitching so fast your mechanics aren’t really repeating…there are changes to every pitch. You need to make sure that from before movement to the end of the finish your mechanics are always the same. The first mechanical thing I see is that as you come up to the post you swing your leg to that position, I would prefer to see a straight lifting of the knee to the post position, this could fix the issue of hooking your plant foot down to where you plant. Looks like good location except the change/or curve dont remember what it was. Nice stride length and your speed looks pretty good too. Good Luck.

thank u,ok good tip there,its funny as you guys mention these things then I clearly see them…is it an issue my front foot is going behind ther back leg? i never realized i was doing that

[quote=“RJ35”]Couple of things to consider. One is that it looks like you sweep your lead leg into landing which could definitely make your hips open too early and get you spinning down the mound a bit making you fall way off to the side. Now keep in mind you see successful pitchers sweep their leg so I wouldn’t say it’s automatically a problem but if you are having control issues it’s something to think about. Get your hips moving early and lead leg more down and out to target.

Another thing to consider when finishing up sideways is your glove side. If you are pulling glove/elbow in you are much more likely to spin out. Firm the glove up over the front foot. Coach Corral from University of Memphis posted a drill (Smith Glove drill I think is what it was called) last week under hip/shoulder subject with a drill that may help.

A final idea. Don Cooper, the long time pitching coach for the White Sox, says he will tell players that are “spinning” down the mound to picture themselves throwing down a hallway and if they spin out they’ll bounce into the wall. I was working with a little leaguer who was athletic but really spun out and tried working on glove side and it helped but still struggled a bit. But the “hallway” idea really clicked and his control got much better. Just some thoughts, not an expert by any stretch but hope this helps.

I think I would work on glove side and “staying in the hallway” first and if that works leave leg sweep alone until you see the results of those adjustments. The leg just seems like it may be the bigger adjustment to make. Some may say, and could be right, that “leg sweep” is causing other problems but I’d start with simpler adjustment. One step at a time.

Good Lu
thank u,now i see i do have that sweep too…
ok im gonna look for that video you mentioned

I always work from the first movement, which would even include the rock step from the windup, keep it small and balanced, work on coming to a balanced position for the post then there aren’t other issues in your body like twist and possibly your core being tight etc. Next move to the foot strike and then finally the throw and follow through.

Good Luck.

ok i adjusted some of these things and one thing i noticed was better control and less shoulder pain,it had been bothering me a bit…
thanks for all the tips I willl keep working on them and post up another video in a week or so