Tips for varsity baseball

Varsity training is 5 days a week on Monday through Friday with a few games. The tryouts are also a week long. I usually don’t throw more than 2 days in a row unless i’m in a tournament, because travel ball practices were only 2-3 times week with a day of rest between. by the third day of the tryout my elbow and shoulder was starting to get really sore. On the fourth and fifth day my arm was totally dead, My throwing velocity decreased and even batting was hurting. it was hard to make a fist and i could really feel it in my elbow, though i tried my best to not let it affect my game.

I would really appreciate any tips to avoid this and any other tips for varsity baseball.

I really don’t know how to bring an answer to your question across, without sounding very negative - B UT, your varsity training is really out of your control. Your coach, or coaches, usually mandate a schedule and itinerary for everyone to follow, IF I’m not mistaken.
I’ve attended some very well organized pre-season sessions at the high school and college level and from what I’ve witnessed, every session… whether it be batting, infield, pitching and so forth are well dictated and monitored. If this does not sound like your training sessions then you’re either left to manage yourself, or follow someone’s plan or guidance.

Can you give me and idea of which is which - manage yourself or follow someone’s plan, like a coach or team captain?

If your arm pain persists, see a doctor, an orthopedist trained in sports medicine.

It sounds like you came to training unprepared for the workload. There’s not much you can do this year except hopefully make it through. I would also suggest you tell the coach about your elbow pain. If he’s not concerned, then this team might not be the best place for you. I would also suggest loading up on the Advil/Aleve (not Tylenol as it has zero anti-inflammatory properties) and using a heating pad to increase blood flow (20 on/20 off). Elbow pain is always concerning but not necessarily season-ending. A couple/few of days of rest followed by easing back into things might be all you need depending on the severity of your pain. If you go to an orthopedist, he’s very likely going to x-ray you, put you on prescription anti-inflammatories, and send you home with no throwing for a few weeks (assuming he sees nothing on the x-ray- probably won’t since you are likely dealing with soft tissue problems).

the practices are pretty well organized but i feel that i might be throwing too much during practice. The coach makes the pitchers pitch almost everyday, along with infield and outfield practice. throwing during defense has to be hard. the batting is left to us to manage. the team didn’t really have pre-season sessions as we have a tournament in two weeks, and varsity just started this week.

Too many coaches don’t know about pitcher arm health, or know and don’t care. This coach sounds like one, if he has all the pitchers pitching every day. No MLB pitcher pitches every day. So why would a 14 to 18 year old with open growth plates pitch every day? More, at the start of the season many if not most of the kids are not in mid-season form, so why treat them as such?

As Dr. James Andrews likes to say, pitcher overuse takes many forms: too much throwing during the year without time off; too many pitches in a game; too many pitches in an inning; not enough rest between pitching outings; and, too much too soon, that is, throwing too hard in too short a time without adequate time for arm strengthening.

My son’s high school team has this issue right now. All the kids throw 6 days a week, plus the pitchers throw three bullpens a week plus a few innings in a weekly scrimmage. My son says many of the kids have arm pain. I did a preseason throwing program with my son, so he’s pain free so far.

I agree with much of what SP posted but would add that any HS player should come to training camp in shape…not coming there to get in shape. My son made MS both his 6th grade year and this year. Both years we began throwing in December and were ready to go at the January pre-selection camp and at T/O. They have coaches that care about the kids, but they expect the kids to come in ready to go. Their practices are 5-6d/wk, 2.5-3.5hrs. They do a lot of station work which means lots of throws. Both years there have been kids that couldn’t complete the throwing portions of T/O’s bc of sore arms…these are TB players who should know better. Fortunately for them, T/O’s are pretty much a formality in our small town. MS coaches have been at the TB fields, spoken with the TB coaches, and have a pretty good handle on who they want/don’t want.

Yes, those who can prepare should prepare, but many play winter sports and go straight from the end of their winter sport to the baseball field. No coach should treat them like a one-sport baseball player who has nothing to do in the fall and winter except prepare for spring baseball. And regardless of who is or is not ready at the start of baseball, trying to get everyone into mid-season form in the few weeks before the season starts is a recipe for disaster. It’s what a coach looking to win now at all costs does, at the expense of the players’ arms.

Exactly - short and to the pont.