Tips for being able to throw accurately, consistently?

So I’ve just started playing in a social winter league here in Australia, into the 3rd week this week. I played for a few years when I was 13-16 10 years ago (26 now)

The first week, I got asked to pitch by the manager, probably because during warmup I was throwing pretty hard trying to just get my shoulder warm. I had never pitched before except for maybe 1 inning for fun 10 years ago.

Week 1, came in with a 4 run lead and couldn’t find the zone with a fastball (didn’t help that the guy catching that week had never caught before so there were a lot of wild pitches that weren’t gathered - obviously still my fault), ended up losing the game.

Game 2 last week, I started throwing it in there a bit softer with purpose and was a bit more accurate (managed to K the first 2 guys and get a few grounders that were misplayed by the infielders that would have gotten me out of the inning with the lead), but I left one up to a guy and it was basically batting practice speed. I still didn’t feel overly confident in where the pitches were going.

I’d like to be able to throw it in there fast and accurately, but I feel like whenever I try to get anything behind the pitch it’s just going nowhere near the zone.

It doesn’t matter if it’s in the bullpen before the game or in game, I’m still having similar issues, although it seems it’s a bit more amplified when there’s someone in the box.

Sorry for the novel here, but just after any tips anyone can give to help with accuracy, as I feel like if I can throw strikes consistently I can be somewhat effective in this league and I’d love to be able to pitch!

I’ll give you my general answer - front side is for control, backside is for power. Keep your front-side fairly quiet and stable once you’ve completed your stride and let the back-side do all the work. Front-side is considered everything from your glove to your head.

danziggy

Blockquote I’d like to be able to throw it in there fast and accurately, but I feel like whenever I try to get anything behind the pitch it’s just going nowhere near the zone

A lot of this probably has to do with your mechanics. Not pitching in years and throwing the ball hard are two different birds. Ask yourself, do I have consistent rhythm in my delivery? Do I have the same consistent arm path and release point? If the answer is no, or I’m not sure then that will absolutely affect your accuracy.

I still didn’t feel overly confident in where the pitches were going

How is your mental focus prior to each pitch? Concentration and confidence can go a long way. Try taking a deep breath before each pitch and self talk to yourself. Something like hit the glove and then visualize it actually see it hit the glove. Get yourself set and pitch. If the ball doesn’t go where you want it to , turn the page and get ready for your next pitch.

Steve C