Tinkering With My Offpseed Pitches

How can i get a tighter spin on my slider?
Right now it’s loopy and more like a slurve than a slider.
I want it to look like a fastball and then have a hard, tight break to it.
*Does velocity effect this?

Also, how can i get more run on my changeup?
I’m just beginning to throw it and it just dies out.
I want it to run some that way i can have two offspeed pitches that break toward different sides of the platw

Check your release point. A release point that is further out front will usually produce a better spin rate. If your release point isn’t out in front of your front foot then you probably have a posture or glove issue that is pulling your release point back.

Good rotation typically comes from the trunk driving the arm through properly - something not commonly seen in youth pitchers.

When you throw, your chest should load the arm by starting to go foward, while your arm will load back into external rotation, and supinate. When your arm goes into external rotation, it will “pronate” through release and pronate more after.

Most pitchers (at least where I’m from) tend to have a more stationary trunk, which will reduce spin rate.

Check your grip and release out. If you are throwing slurves than your release and grip are too much like a curve ball. Try adding a tiny bit more space between the fingers and moving your release/spin of the wrist angle down just a tiny bit.

If you are essentially are going for a fastball slider with late break modify your fastball a tiny bit until you get what you want. Throw a 2sm fastball grip but use your wrist and fingers to get that spin then slowly move your index closer to your ring if you need more break, keep this up until you are happy. By accident you may come up with an entirely different pitch in between what you are looking for.

If you want it to be closer to a fastball than a curve than start with the fastball. I know this isn’t technically a slider by grip but I throw mine with a 2sm grip and they go hard, however the negative is they aren’t going to cause batters to buckle their knees chasing out of the zone.

It’s all just what you want the pitch to do.