Tim Lincecum

I studied and analyzed Tim’s mechanics. He does it all in one motion. He uses his body more than his arm. Is this why hes throwing high 90’s??? I might change the way I pitch after watching a video on him, and watching Ubaldo Jimenez during the World Baseball Classic. I’m going to test things out, like maybe putting my glove higher, sling my arm, and using my body.

Do you guys thinks my velocity will increase?[/img]

There has been a lot of people talking about changing their mechanics to what he does, and people that have changed. Most of the experienced pitching coaches on here recomend that you don’t try to copy him due to injury risk.

Oh, and he tilts his head back which would cause any normal person to have an extremely hard time staying balanced and on target.

He is a super conditioned freak…I would not try copying him unless you have superior genetics, are super strong “in the right way”, and very flexible.

well i do stretch everyday nearly almost every other hour. I do workout, but I also keep flexible.

I think it would make more sense to take some of the principles of his mechanics - loose arm, late and aggressive hip rotation, things like that and incorporate them into your own mechanics, but the key here is that they need to be your own mechanics.

He’s tremendously successful because he took different components from a lot of old hall of famers and made them his own, he didn’t try to copy one particular guy.

Good luck with that.

[quote=“blake41524”]I think it would make more sense to take some of the principles of his mechanics - loose arm, late and aggressive hip rotation, things like that and incorporate them into your own mechanics, but the key here is that they need to be your own mechanics.

He’s tremendously successful because he took different components from a lot of old hall of famers and made them his own, he didn’t try to copy one particular guy.[/quote]

Good post.

[quote=“blake41524”]I think it would make more sense to take some of the principles of his mechanics - loose arm, late and aggressive hip rotation, things like that and incorporate them into your own mechanics, but the key here is that they need to be your own mechanics.

He’s tremendously successful because he took different components from a lot of old hall of famers and made them his own, he didn’t try to copy one particular guy.[/quote] :applause:

One thing is don’t get over-excstatic about changing one thing or two in your mechanics and expect to throw harder or have a better bite to your breaking balls. Emulating others who have had success may not be the best option. Do what feels right and natural for you. Your velocity will come from doing drills and working your body to its own limits rather than those of pitchers who are already in the Majors. After all, changing one or two things won’t get you throwing from 79 to 89 the next day. It’s a very strenuous process and takes a lot of work.

He’s tremendously successful because he took different components from a lot of old hall of famers and made them his own, he didn’t try to copy one particular guy.[/quote]
Agreed. In fact, that’s exactly what I told another person in this thread
http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9762&highlight=copy+lincecum

yeah for sure, its really difficult to change ones mechanics. thanks for the post

Kenja, I wouldn’t go as far to say that it is difficult to change one’s mechanics, I would say that its more that you shouldn’t try to mimic someone else’s, because everyone has a different body structure. You can make changes, they just need to be what fits your personal style.

There are alot of components of his mechanics you could utilize, components EVERYONE should utilize, the explosiveness, the loose arm action, hip/shoulder seperation…

But don’t be mistaken, Lincecum is a once in a decade talent, he has a rifle for an arm. He was born to throw baseballs, hes not just your average kid with some funky mechanics, hes a world class athlete whose just a couple inches shorter than most.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/mechanics/discussion/controlled_fury_tim_lincecum/

This is a pretty good breakdown of Lincecum’s mechanics check it out.

Tim Lincecum has some incredible mechanics. Too many kids are seeing his mechanics and wanting to mimic them. As many have stated, the best you can do is study his mechanics and apply some of it to yours. You ain’t gonna learn to throw exactly like him overnight, not even in days or weeks for that matter. If you are extremely agile, you might learn in months, but for most it will take years. There was areally good article in Sports Illustrated last year, entitled “The Freak”, that details how and why his dad taught him the mechanics he uses. If you missed it, look it up.

your most objective feedback with regard to trying something new and its impact on velocity is a radar gun. You need to give something new a little time to see if it helps.

Also, you need to be careful when doing something you’re not accustomed to doing. Last thing you want is to get injured immitating Lincecum.

Regards,

Ed