Tim Lincecum and joel Zumaya back leg

How in the world do Tim Lincecum and Joel Zumaya flip there back toe shoe laces down before they land?

This has drove me insane for ever. I would like to do this but I have no idea how to do it.

Please Help me understand how they get the foot to turn over before landing I would love to get into that position.

That’s a good question man.

I think if you look at most of the harder throwers they are in that position that you stated.

IMO, just a few months ago I’ve been working on gathering more momentum to the plate. This has helped me lengthen my stride and release my back foot from the rubber. Thus I’ve been able to flip my foot over before front foot strike. That’s my take on it.

I have been told by some one that throws 87 that if you push hard and act like you are going to jump over something right before landing you will gain momentum and also it could turn the foot over.

I said DO you want to push manually?

HE said you wanna act like your jumping. like an extra push. to get you a little further out.

I said Right when you are about to land?

HE said yup so the momentum continues through

I said Push the back leg when about to land

He said Yes so everything is forced through. Get the most out of the leg. like until your body cant be pushed anymore.

I tryed a couple in my living room fielt great really works also I did notice that tim lincecum and also Scott Kazmir do this.

Look how he jumps at the last second I think I might have found a way to turn the foot over before landing.

Jumpers include Joel, Tim lincecum and scott kazmir so far from what I have seen.

It’s called a step-over move and the foot turning over before landing is the result of good rotation into landing. It’s not a jump–thinking JUMP may cause timing problems. You can pretend like you’re stepping over a small box or you can think about carrying your front hip as far as you can to the plate while keeping it slightly higher than the back hip.

yes load the back leg and push and land right?

You can call it whatever you want–the same description will mean different things to different people.

Just video taped quickly with no ball in my living room and FOR THE 1st time ever my foot turnned over before landing I feel so proud!!!

Ok so tomorrow I will video tape so you guys can see how the mechanics look with the foot turning over I pray it will tomorrow.

The back leg push happens at the hip not the foot. When the front leg does the step-over, very little weight is on the back foot. If all the weight was on the back leg when the knee turns in, you’d tear up you knee.

You can describe it as a jump, but it’s more of a “pull”. The violent swinging of the front leg and opening of the hip pulls the body off the rubber.

Focus on using the front leg to propel you forward. The role of the back leg is more to maintain balance than to push you towards the plate.

Matt Chico does an exaggerated step-over move.

[/img]

I don’t think the stepover is the right way for me at least to open the hips I think I need to focus a little more on momentum while lifting the leg. When I try to do the stepover I tend to reac with the leg which is doing me no good.

So I’m going to work on momentum while lifting the leg and see how far I can get out before peak leg lift and see what happends to the hips and back leg turn over.

[quote=“RIstar”]This has drove me insane for ever. I would like to do this but I have no idea how to do it.

Please Help me understand how they get the foot to turn over before landing I would love to get into that position.[/quote]

I might be reading this in the wrong context, but WHY do you want to do this? In reading your entire original post I’m reading it as you want to do it because you like how it looks?

Again I could just be reading it in the wrong context.

RIstar, You need to disregard all the crap you hear on these forums and find out what YOU do. Throw for weeks or months and find out what your body does well and what it does not. Then come back and you might find something that you think is similar to your body and think you can improve by pushing here or extending there.

Stop trying to make your body something different than what it is.

[quote=“Spencer”]RIstar, You need to disregard all the crap you hear on these forums and find out what YOU do. Throw for weeks or months and find out what your body does well and what it does not. Then come back and you might find something that you think is similar to your body and think you can improve by pushing here or extending there.

Stop trying to make your body something different than what it is.[/quote]

Great point Spence, great point!

[quote=“RIstar”]

Look how he jumps at the last second I think I might have found a way to turn the foot over before landing.

Jumpers include Joel, Tim lincecum and Sott Kazmir so far from what I have seen.[/quote]

Kazmir doesn’t jump IMO

The reason I want my back leg like that is so that my hips rotate ahead of my shoulders.

So I’m looking for the best way to turn over the back leg before landing so I can have the hips before the shoulders and rotate powerfully. If anyone has any other suggestions I would like them.

I was thinking gainning more momentum when lifting the leg and go from there.

its because of momentum after they start there delivery there pushing forward instead of falling forward. you back foot actually comes off before you land because its an initial push. once you have the momentum your body takes over

that back leg dont really mean anything. u wana throw hard throw long toss. hit the backstop from center field at over 325 feet and make sure every throw is accurate. once you can do that youll have a guaranteed 85mph fastball at least. dont focus to much on little things like that its just how they throw its not like they say “ok ima make sure my back foot kicks”. its just a natural movement from there deceleration on there type of mechanics

"its just a natural movement from there deceleration on there type of mechanics"

This is a good point, individuality plays some part doesn’t it Ristar?
Is 96 and dominate your goal, what you do already or a secret slogan in a club you are in :shock: ?

(I’m teasing not picking on you)

just trying to get the hips and the back leg to open up into landing so that I can powerfully rotate around and through.

I have tryed many ways but idk how to get the back leg turn down and in and the hips to rotate into landing more so that I get a stretch in the core that I can rotate off of like tim lincecum.

Look at tims mechanics see how he is at landing I want to get the back leg and hips like that or as close to that as possible.

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/ProfessionalPitcherAnalyses/TimLincecum.html

The key to getting the hips to rotate before the shoulders is to have good mechanics AND TIMING. Poor mechanics destroy the timing necessary to get good hip and shoulder separation and delay shoulder rotation.

tims mechanics are few and far between. hes an amazing pitcher but u gata look at his total mechanics. ive tried a couple times to duplicate them for fun and its extremeley hard. truth is if he wasnt throwin 98 i dont think to mny clubs would give him a good scouting report because of how jerky his motion is…like i said before throw long toss and hit the 325 mark. thats how you will develope your mechanics…look at other pitchers to, once you have good mechanics your leg naturally does this…its not just lincicum his is just so noticable because of the drastic jump he makes to home plate…watch john smolts(cant spell) his delivery is very calm and collected and he throws 96…all that stuff isnt neccessary so dont think you have to do the same…and 96 and dominate is my goal. im throwing between 88 and 92 i get ACL surgery wednesday but i got clocked other day at 88 with bad knee…im pitching tomorrow is it doesnt get rained out so ill have a clip up from my video camera