Till I Collapse -My Journey to D1 Baseball and Beyond

Playing with the ole Dash.

That’s where I made my first start.

Moving even closer to my school.

Glad to see the success and the solid mental piece.

Been battling through some minor but annoying hamstring issues over the past 6 weeks - haven’t really given it enough time to fully heal before going out and throwing on it again. I’m pretty much done throwing in games for the rest of Arizona fall instructional league. Nonetheless, I had a productive first half of instructs, logging two scoreless outings and making some huge progress on my slider and a mechanical tweak.

I managed to keep the sharpness I acquired over the course of the season but drastically improved my release point consistency, to where it feels easy to locate right now.

I will come into spring training with a big league body, two big league pitches and big league command of both. That much is certain. Big things ahead with Kyle Boddy and driveline baseball in november. Surrounding myself with smart hardworking people that will push me to reach higher and achieve my potential.

Update: bodyweight is at 206 right now, down from 218 late in the regular season. It’s been a gradual drop, and no loss of strength during the timeframe (although i had some slight loss in strength through the college season as a result of the low training volume we did). Regardless, I’ll be going into the fall stronger and leaner than I was last year at this time, and with absolute control over how I eat and train. It’s going to be an insane transformation, and I expect some stupid gains in strength and velocity.

It is amazing to me that coaches at a high level (high D1) would not see what the pros have seen already. For a guy who never got a lot of innings in college you seem to be progressing very quickly. Keep it up.
Enjoy Seattle…cool city.

[quote=“fearsomefour”]It is amazing to me that coaches at a high level (high D1) would not see what the pros have seen already. For a guy who never got a lot of innings in college you seem to be progressing very quickly. Keep it up.
Enjoy Seattle…cool city.[/quote]

the assumption being that the higher level the coach is coaching, the more they know. This may be a general trend, but is certainly not always the case.

Yeah, good point.
Some are good coaches and some are good recruiters.
Heck I think sometimes the name of the school does most of the recruiting work for the coach.
Baseball is a strange game.

I’ve been out in Washington with Kyle Boddy and Driveline Baseball for about a week now, and I’m really liking the arm care and velocity development stuff they do. I began throwing again at the beginning of the week, so I’m going through the normal arm soreness/ acclimating phase. First velocity test will be in about 3 weeks if everything goes as planned.

Upper body strength is coming along. My plan right now is using an undulating periodization scheme, rotating strength, volume and power days on a 4 day upper/lower body split. For those of you wondering, it looks something like this:

Strength = A, Power = B, Volume (hypertrophy) = C
UB = upper body, LB = lower body

Week 1: UB A, LB B, UB B, LB C
Week 2: UB C, LB A, UB A, LB B

The lifts cycle in this way to allow for recovery and to provide a constantly changing stimulus. Exercises between workouts are very similar, but the set, rep and intensity schemes vary between days.

for example on dumbbell bench press:

on UB A, I’m doing 3x3 this is a max strength day where I go very heavy for a few sets (hit 111lbs on this today)

on UB B, I’m doing 8x3 + bands with 60% 1RM (week1), 65% 1RM (week 2), 70% 1RM (week 3) this is a power day done for max speed (e.g. 65lbs, 70lbs, 75lbs for speed. The band represents about 25% of your 1RM at the top) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAg8WF-0kkM&list=UUANTSXGjfXdmXzlAbELdWXw

and here’s an example of what dynamic effort squatting looks like with accommodated resistance (bands/chains) for a lower body power type day. I don’t do these, instead doing sled sprints for my lower back.

on UB C, I’m doing 5x5-8 this is a volume day where I’m taking a high percentage of my 1RM (85%) and getting as many reps as I can in 5 sets, trying to get at least 5 in every set, and adding weight if I can do more than 8.

The exercise list becomes very basic at this point, I pretty much choose my favorite rowing, pulling and lower body movements, and the focus is all on progression, not on rotating to new lifts every 4 weeks.

My lower body is stalling a bit, because I’ve had a wide range of equipment to use since I’ve been home. Not to mention I was on the road for over a week driving out to Washington. I’m doing almost exclusively sled work and plyos at the moment due to my lower back making squatting and deadlifting a bad idea. It hasn’t really bothered me in a long time, but every time I sniff moderate compressive or shear loading it gets a bit cranky.

I’m excited to get my arm back in shape and start hitting some new velo numbers. It’s going to be different having to throw indoors all winter and not being able to max long toss.

I’m cooking up some experiments with Kyle using force plates and emg muscle sensors. We are starting by measuring drive leg and landing leg ground reaction forces and looking for correlations to a number of variables (velocity, anthropometry - arm length, torso length,etc, deadlift strength, vertical jump, broad jump, lateral jump, etc)

It should be an interesting set of data when all is said and done

Sent you a PM.

I responded. Messages don’t always go through though, they just sit in my outbox after I hit send. Let me know when you get it.

Ben

Got it.
Thanks for the reply Ben.

LL,
Glad to see your efforts have paid off. Don’t post around here much. Wanted to thank you for you posts and the time you take to explain your conditioning and off/in season strength programs.

Years ago is where I discovered Eric Cressey from a link you posted prob. when you were a College Fresh. That site open doors to a then coach of very talented 14 year olds who are now in there last year of HS ball and some have committed . My son a 2015 LHP has committed to a consistant top 20 JC in the attempt further himself into the land of SEC. After turning down other D1 & D2 offers so he may continue to grow and compete in a rotation at a lower level, his desire and ethic is similar to what I saw you doing back in your younger days.
We were able to locate a place locally that has a program similar to Boddys & Cressey facility. He lives there, it’s in as much that mom and I worry about him over doing it b/c his passion is so strong, but he’s seeing the fruits of his labor. Again, thank you as a parent/former coach and wish you the best with respect to your Pro career and path there after. Lanky Performance Center Member…

wow! Thanks for the kind words, it’s awesome to hear that I’ve made an impact on people even in a small way. Keep supporting your son and encouraging him to chase his dreams with a passion!

Keep in touch and let me know how he’s doing

Ben

I’m kind of weirded out by the massive change to the formatting of the site. Not really a fan and it has turned me off to updating this log as frequently. I’m in spring training with the White Sox currently. I’ll keep you all updated periodically.

It is quite different at first. But stick with it and you’ll get used to it.

Good luck with spring training!

Agree it’s been a steeper learning curve than I had anticipated. The mobile version is excellent however. Like Roger said, give it some time to get used to. Good luck at camp and keep us posted.

Good luck at camp Ben, all the best

This log is amazing! I have a young, late blooming lefty son (14yrs 5’7" 110lb), and your log is so helpful and inspiring! Thank-you for taking the time to share your journal.

I am a high school junior and this thread is amazing and inspiring , it is full of great information. Which workouts would you recommend for me (6 foot, 210 lbs, 25% body fat) for the offseason to gain velocity? And again great thread and story, best of luck with your career.

Hey ben, I was wondering if we could exchange emails or phone numbers to talk about mechanics and what you focus on.

I know you’re busy, but if you could spare some time.
Thanks

Haven’t checked this log in a while, but I’m still going strong. Please feel free to contact me at Ben@treadathletics.com or follow me on twitter if you would like to continue to stay in touch with my journey and my progress.

lr; This is old news, but, great job on getting to the minors! I see your part of the White Sox Organization. If you make it to AAA (which you most likely will :smile:) you’ll be playing for the Charlotte Knights. The Knights are pretty close to where I live, so I might get the chance to see you play in the next couple of years or so. Once again, great job.