Till I Collapse -My Journey to D1 Baseball and Beyond

I’ll call it literary license :lol: particularly after seeing these scores yesterday…Once I went and hung out at the pen I didn’t even look at the score board again :stuck_out_tongue: and posted the first comment from the parking lot…my sun baked brain in action…it was the impression of the moment:

Ball State 3
#22 Kentucky 26
Box Score Recap FINAL

Ohio State 4
#11 Oregon 20
Box Score Recap FINAL

It truly was just one of those innings gone awry…you don’t get behind on FSU and have much expectation of come back…Ben’s right it wasn’t THAT bad
8)

Now for the pull down…I was so disappointed that the vid I took of it couldn’t be shared…(Techno-peasant me…my iphone maxed it’s memory and I had to go snatch my ipad…which wasn’t familiar as it should have been)…it was bouncy and just unwatchable

I saw lots of technique and velocity that I personally wouldn’t have wanted to be on the receiving side of.
I was very interested in how conscious you were of your shoulder…alignment??..was it load?

I noted several types of weighted balls (One of your warm-up shots shows you with a squishy one) and in answer to the inverted this or that…Ben, this is why the guy who got all famous for his rants against it had no real idea about what he was talking about…aspect and perspective and physically observing means so much more than a still picture.

A great time and nice day…I’d do it again tomorrow :wink:

Great stuff JD thanks for posting, been away from the boards lately but still managing to check in every so often.

Keep it going Ben

Ah,

JD I’m sure you are referring to my initial shoulder counterrotation. I basically set my front shoulder as closed as I can and keep it there as long as I can as I ride the hips out into landing. It looks a bit funny, but gets the job done. The velocity is absurdly better when I do this vs. when I fly open even a little bit. Unconventional? Maybe. Most guys close off a bit as they break the hands. I just pre-set everything.

Our warm-up involves the dynamic warm-up, arm circles/stretches, wall lat and pec stretches, wall scap activation (elevations, protractions, etc.), 2lb weighted ball drop catches and reverse throws and jaeger band routine. It’s a pretty effective routine. You didn’t see us do the weighted ball holds routine that most of us are on, primarily because guys have been slacking on it most days in season. We are supposed to be doing about 15-30 holds total over 3 drills with 5 different weighted balls from 2 lbs to 2oz. I still do this about 1-2 times a week, but not at 100% intensity.

Logged a clean inning today against delaware. 1 IP, 1H, 1K, 0bb, 0r.

Sat 90-93 as usual. My back was pretty tight so I’m taking it easy and getting ready for UNC this weekend.

Our next two guys out of the pen sat 94-95 and 93-94 respectively. It was gross. We need to turn the corner as a team and we could be deadly.

I didn’t see it as unconventional, I saw it as a cue and was curious as to the value it held for you.

I think the thing that I wanted to bring out is that with all the vitriol about weighted balls, long toss etc. a very large array of very quality college programs have them integrated into the program.

To associate these drills as damaging has always been somewhat absurd to me…certainly, in the hands of individuals who don’t understand conditioning they can prove to be unhelpful at best…damaging on the bad…one of the things that has always impressed me about you and your approach is that you’ve researched, experimented and discovered “truths” that have provided value to your journey…all the bs and rhetoric aside…if it has value…you integrate it…I always consider Billy Wagner and just how many naysayers he encountered as he broke his right arm and taught himself to throw with his left…undaunted desire…an unstoppable force.

Thanks again JD, really great to see you there and hear your take on everything!

I tossed two scoreless frames against #13 UNC last weekend. Came in the 7th with a runner on 1st and got out of the inning without allowing the run to score. Pitched a quick scoreless 8th as well.

No hits, 1 strikeout and 2 walks on the day, one of which was more or less intentional (4 change-ups called low and off the plate because my pitching coach wanted to pitch around the guy in that situation)

The velo was 90-93 as usual, change up was in the low to mid 80s and I threw one slider at 73 for a looking strikeout that started behind the batter and ended up right over the plate.

My low back has been tight lately, so I’m getting treatment on that to loosen it up for the weekend. Hopefully it doesn’t get worse, but if I need to take a few games off to be healthy for the duration of the season I may need to consider that.

Carlos Rodon is in town. We face the Wolfpack tomorrow for the start of our 3-game series.

Ben

[quote=“LankyLefty”]Thanks again JD, really great to see you there and hear your take on everything!

I tossed two scoreless frames against #13 UNC last weekend. Came in the 7th with a runner on 1st and got out of the inning without allowing the run to score. Pitched a quick scoreless 8th as well.

No hits, 1 strikeout and 2 walks on the day, one of which was more or less intentional (4 change-ups called low and off the plate because my pitching coach wanted to pitch around the guy in that situation)

The velo was 90-93 as usual, change up was in the low to mid 80s and I threw one slider at 73 for a looking strikeout that started behind the batter and ended up right over the plate.

My low back has been tight lately, so I’m getting treatment on that to loosen it up for the weekend. Hopefully it doesn’t get worse, but if I need to take a few games off to be healthy for the duration of the season I may need to consider that.

Carlos Rodon is in town. We face the Wolfpack tomorrow for the start of our 3-game series.

Ben[/quote]
Good luck to your team. Carlos Rodon is a great pitcher. And don’t rush your back, wait until you are 100%

Clinched the series vs. #10 NC State today. Going for the sweep tomorrow. I will likely get time tomorrow. Look for us in the top 25 rankings in a couple days, there is no way they can keep us out of it now. Our RPI is now #9 in the country http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html

Still taking my throwing easy because of back tightness. That being said, I threw a flat ground today that was really encouraging. I think i figured out something with my slider, as it was much sharper and harder than usual (80 ish vs. 73-75ish). I also figured out a new cue for my hip drive that seemed to help.

I tried to stay minimal effort to keep some stress off my back and the ball was still coming out hot. I feel very confident going into tomorrow.

Ben

Ben,

Best of luck to you today Ben. You guys are really playing some ball. Looks like Rodon is struggling some. You usually don’t don’t see 8 unearned runs charge to one guy. Maybe the box was wrong. I hope you can share some thoughts on your new hip drive cues when you are able. We really value your sense of awareness and feel. You are a valuable pitcher and teacher.

Best regards,

Ted

[quote=“Ted22”]Ben,

Best of luck to you today Ben. You guys are really playing some ball. Looks like Rodon is struggling some. You usually don’t don’t see 8 unearned runs charge to one guy. Maybe the box was wrong. I hope you can share some thoughts on your new hip drive cues when you are able. We really value your sense of awareness and feel. You are a valuable pitcher and teacher.

Best regards,

Ted[/quote]

NC State played some awful defense behind Rodon, but he didn’t command the zone well. He was 2-0 on most hitters, then had to work himself out of jams with his filthy slider.

This is what I’m talking about. Look at the slide step at 0:24

It struck me that many high level throwers appear to be “gliding” just above the ground as they drive forward. This is because the direction of the force being applied through the back hip is more horizontal, rather than having a significant vertical component. Having that force vector as horizontal as possible while still maintaining proper positions, posture and alignment helps drive the body quicker to the plate and create more potential energy. Study that 2 second clip again. That’s an easy 94 from a slide step.

Anyway, this cue of gliding towards the target seemed to have some use for me, its worth experimenting with.

I pitched a third of an inning on sunday. I came in with 2 outs in the 7th, got us out of the jam (a walk and a ground out) and then our coach put in another reliever for the 8th, followed by our closer for the 9th.

It’s tough fighting for innings right now. Our friday and saturday starters are going deep into games every weekend, and we have 5 or 6 relievers that our coach wants to squeeze in to about 5 relief innings every weekend. I don’t even get the call down to the pen unless we are in a close game on the weekends. This is good, it means all of my innings are meaningful and in clutch situations. But I need more exposure and work to keep progressing the way I want to.

I still can’t complain, we just swept the #10 team in the country. We are ranked #25 now.

Ben

Ben,

Good work on your last outing. Keep throwing those grounders.

Thanks for expounding on the drive cues. We are currently studying drive patterns and methods as much as possible. Putting together ideas to try when the high school season is over. Got a pretty good idea that 60 or 70 lbs of muscle would make the most difference in velo. However, as his drive becomes better directed we are seeing real improvements in location.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

Continued success,

Ted

Thanks Ted, keep up the good work.

Here are my thoughts on lifting and intensity in-season…for those interested

http://www.treadathletics.com/1/post/2014/03/the-single-biggest-lifting-mistake-pitchers-make-in-season.html

Interesting article, thanks! Also I like the new background picture on the site, pretty sweet. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ben,

Thanks for the link. Good luck to you guys this week vs. Clemson. Hey what is with Stinnett’s landing foot hop? I haven’t really seen that before. Is it just for balance?

Best regards,

Ted

Clemson swings early and often. Miss the barrel and everything will be good, even though they are great at moving guys around with dink hits. What worked against them for me is going hard inside to the leftys, they wouldn’t hack just took. Change ups away to the leftys as well. Just work your spots, a real physical lineup, likes to be on the move on the bases. Will bunt, but won’t aim to do so. As I said before, they are a good contact team so keep them from high percentage barrel contact and you will have success… As long as y’all score runs too. Change ups were my friend against them.

Just a couple of observations from my start against them. Hopefully y’all have them at home because their umps gave me about half the plate to work with. Real good team but also beatable. Thought they were better than NC State and Carolina.

But who cares who they are, its all about execution.

Thanks Sean,

I’ve had a couple outings recently - a clean .2 against Liberty university and an up and down outing tonight vs. Wake Forest.

I came in with bases loaded no outs in the 8th inning. Tough spot.

Go 0-2 on the first batter with fastballs, then get under a slider and hit him. I believe all 3 or 4 of my HBP this season are on sliders with 2 strikes. That pitch just needs to get more consistent. I need to throw it more, trust it more because it’s a plus pitch when I don’t get around it.

Next batter battled and walked on a close 3-2 pitch. Still bases loaded.

I get a ground-out, a strikeout and a pop-up to get out of the inning. Settled down and gained confidence as the inning went on. Fastball was steady at 92 the whole inning, topping at 94 mph.

On the year: 10.1 IP, 2h, 5bb, 4er, 10K, 4HBP
The fact that i have given up 2 hits all year throwing 99% fastballs and still striking out 1 per inning is a joke. I need to get the slider going and it will be night night.

Tons of scouts there for our starter Jake Stinnett, who didn’t throw a fastball under 93 all day, and was sitting 96mph by the end of the 7th inning, touching 97mph.

Tough loss, 6-4. I need to be better, but that’s a really tough situation to come in and not give up any runs. I need to find a way to get the slider over and calm myself down mentally from pitch 1.

Oh, and my arm was hanging today before I went in to pitch, from all the times i have been warming up in the pen to pitch during the week (7 “bullpen innings pitched” this week before today - our pen started keeping track). Every time we are told to get up and start getting ready to a catcher, that counts as 1 BIP. After today I am at 9 BIP and 1.2 IP over the last 4 days. Way too much throwing, but as usual my velocity was at its best with my arm hanging. I am forced to use my lower half better and whip the ball as much as possible.

[quote=“Ted22”]Ben,

Hey what is with Stinnett’s landing foot hop? I haven’t really seen that before. Is it just for balance?

Best regards,

Ted[/quote]

He only did that on the one throw in the video. Doesn’t generally do that when he throws.

Ben

[quote=“LankyLefty”]Thanks Sean,

I’ve had a couple outings recently - a clean .2 against Liberty university and an up and down outing tonight vs. Wake Forest.

I came in with bases loaded no outs in the 8th inning. Tough spot.

Go 0-2 on the first batter with fastballs, then get under a slider and hit him. I believe all 3 or 4 of my HBP this season are on sliders with 2 strikes. That pitch just needs to get more consistent. I need to throw it more, trust it more because it’s a plus pitch when I don’t get around it.

Next batter battled and walked on a close 3-2 pitch. Still bases loaded.

I get a ground-out, a strikeout and a pop-up to get out of the inning. Settled down and gained confidence as the inning went on. Fastball was steady at 92 the whole inning, topping at 94 mph.

On the year: 10.1 IP, 2h, 5bb, 4er, 10K, 4HBP
The fact that i have given up 2 hits all year throwing 99% fastballs and still striking out 1 per inning is a joke. I need to get the slider going and it will be night night.

Tons of scouts there for our starter Jake Stinnett, who didn’t throw a fastball under 93 all day, and was sitting 96mph by the end of the 7th inning, touching 97mph.

Tough loss, 6-4. I need to be better, but that’s a really tough situation to come in and not give up any runs. I need to find a way to get the slider over and calm myself down mentally from pitch 1.

Oh, and my arm was hanging today before I went in to pitch, from all the times i have been warming up in the pen to pitch during the week (7 “bullpen innings pitched” this week before today - our pen started keeping track). Every time we are told to get up and start getting ready to a catcher, that counts as 1 BIP. After today I am at 9 BIP and 1.2 IP over the last 4 days. Way too much throwing, but as usual my velocity was at its best with my arm hanging. I am forced to use my lower half better and whip the ball as much as possible.[/quote]
I have found that generally my command on my slider is dramatically worse when my arm is “hanging” as you say, even though my velocity stays about the same. The slider (at least for me) is a “feel” pitch and when my arm’s hanging it’s a lot harder to feel the pitch out.

Shot you a DM.

Thanks,
Sean

Sean,

I tried to respond to your PM but the message won’t go through. Add me on Facebook or send me an email and I’ll be able to get back to you.

Jimster, same goes for you.

I sent you a text yesterday. Let me know if you didn’t get it, or if you would prefer an email from me. Whatever is easier.

Peace.