Throwing work criticism welcome

Just some throwing work. Looking for anything to help gain a few mph.
Wondering what opinions are of my arm action and overall pitching motion
1st Video: 2 10oz baseballs 1 normal 5oz
2nd Video: 1 10oz 3 normal

my opinion is that you’re way to weak and skinny to throw a ball 90 mph no matter how good your mechanics are…those are plenty good enough to chuck a ball with pretty good velocity if you have the right physical tools in place. Not saying they’re perfect but you have bigger priorities if you are looking to gain a few mph ASAP

what is your height and weight and age?

I’m 5’11 150 and 16 yo

perfect…how hard are you throwing now? Aim for about 40-50lbs of weight gain over the next 3 years…about 15-20lbs each offseason and you’ll be in a great place physically. Most of the hard throwers who are that short are pretty solid…even tim lincecum has 25lbs on you and he is tiny. At 5’11" 190-200 and strong, I can’t see those mechanics not allowing you to throw upper 80s. With mechanical improvements, who knows, but that would be the fastest way to drastically improve your performance for next season, along with a good throwing program to gradually build arm strength and endurance.

Yeah I currently throw about 81-83 right now. I’ve never seriously worked out before, but the added weight is absolutely necessary in order to reach my full potential. Also a good throwing program would be great for not only durability but velocity as well.

great. Start reading everything on ericcressey.com and get familiar with jaegersports and their long toss method. Browse t-nation.com for nutrition information related to bulk diets. You’re young and now is a great time to start taking control of your career if you want to play D1 ball down the line

a list of names to look up

Eric Cressey
John Berardi
Jim Smith
Ben Bruno
Nate Green
Tony Gentilcore
Brian St. Pierre

[quote=“LankyLefty”]my opinion is that you’re way to weak and skinny to throw a ball 90 mph no matter how good your mechanics are…those are plenty good enough to chuck a ball with pretty good velocity if you have the right physical tools in place. Not saying they’re perfect but you have bigger priorities if you are looking to gain a few mph ASAP

what is your height and weight and age?[/quote]

I disagree with on the physical tools in place. Is there a correlation with strength and velocity? I would think so, there’s an asterick beside players in the Juice era.

However, I have seen countless guys that you would coin “too weak and skinny” that threw the ball 90 mph plus. We had a guy on the staff two years ago that was 6’1, 155 and 94.

No way Chris Sale was above 160 lbs in college coming out of Florida Gulf Coast. He may do well to be 175 lbs now. Pedro Martinez, Greg Maddux, etc…

My questions to you would be:

1. How much should you weigh to throw 90?
  2. How strong do you have to be?

Take a look across the minor leagues, especially in lower levels at how many players are probably a little too skinny or weak compared to their peers that throw the ball well above 90. I agree that strength plays a key role but there are way too many variables involved to just say that you have to gain weight, etc…

I wouldn’t get caught up on the weight. Strength and weight don’t always correlate to the ability to create/transfer force or power.

I would encourage you to “speed up the hands out of the glove”, focus on creating momentum earlier. You get threw the ball well, but you seem to be thinking “throw harder” versus “throw faster”. Let me explain, too often I see guys that don’t understand the importance of creating momentum earlier and capturing and converting it late. The focus is “slow, slow, explode.” If you wan’t the arm to speed up, speed up the lower body (center mass), have more intent to get the hands moving faster earlier.

I also see you stall early in the delivery and just by creating more of an angle with your pelvis and getting it moving forward earlier you would see a slight increase. You can do this a number of ways.

I like the intent at the end and you get through the ball well but take that same intent and put it into the delivery a little earlier.

Oh, and don’t get so bloated from the weight gain powder that you can’t throw. :lol:

81 to 83 is pretty good for where you are right now. You have very little glove side action and I would be surprised if you are able to maintain consistent posture and arm slot. These two aspects really need to be nailed down solid within the next year. At 5’ 11" and mid to upper eighties you are not going to be a pure power prospect anyway so you really need to concentrate on being able to hit spots and move the ball. I believe a stronger glove side will help you gain direction and assist in delaying your shoulder rotation which will in my experience improve control and velocity.

Best of luck,

Ted

[quote]However, I have seen countless guys that you would coin “too weak and skinny” that threw the ball 90 mph plus. We had a guy on the staff two years ago that was 6’1, 155 and 94.

No way Chris Sale was above 160 lbs in college coming out of Florida Gulf Coast. He may do well to be 175 lbs now. Pedro Martinez, Greg Maddux, etc…

My questions to you would be:

1. How much should you weigh to throw 90?
  2. How strong do you have to be? [/quote]

Frame the reference Thinktank, Lanky is coming from a college perspective, strength does relate but not in the way “traditionally” viewed. We all know the Freak is a steel cord of a man…the reason that strength is so meaningful is more a function on ability to produce that 90+ mech over time…in a season…if you are not fit, simply put you will get injured throwing above 90…why? Well most certainly young and skinny “can” throw at that speed, but inning over inning, it takes considerable strength to be able to reproduce the mech that allows the body to deliver at that speed…a weakening will breakdown the mech and this will cause the body to “force” velocity in an inefficient way…ending in injury. Every person you mentioned besides The Great Greg, are outliers because they do it professionally…my bet is they train like animals (And remember…Pedro hit the DL usually for the middle part of the season and came on gang-busters at the end…I certainly wouldn’t call him puny)…just have the smaller frame…Greg didn’t try to maintain over 90, he could reach it and beyond but he stayed in the 80’s for the most of his career.
Lanky’s perspective is spot on…it’s what knocked my son out…he was buff and fit…throwing 91 touching 92, dominating his league (His 1st outing he one hit the #2 team in the nation), then he contracted mono, it withered his frame and conditioning while his innings increased wildly due to a decimation of his teams staff, it all ended very badly…

Jdfromfla, I agree with there being a correlation with strength and performance. No Doubt, I’m all in.

However, I have seen way too many undersized skinny kids throwing the ball 90 plus, that was my point. Mono is a different animal and IMO, that’s a different situation. There’s more going on than just a loss in weight and strength. Again, I see your point.