Throwing the forkball?

can it cause injuries? I heard that spreading the fingers like that causes problems in the tendons of the elbow and many pitchers need surgery to fix it, is this true? i read it on wikipedia the other night

how can I get good at it? when I throw it it gets maybe 5 spins on it and has topspin but doesnt move. I throw it hard too. about as hard as my fastball. I heard of sticking a softball between your fingers while watching tv?

oh im only 15.

[quote=“jamesh23”]can it cause injuries? I heard that spreading the fingers like that causes problems in the tendons of the elbow and many pitchers need surgery to fix it, is this true? i read it on wikipedia the other night

how can I get good at it? when I throw it it gets maybe 5 spins on it and has topspin but doesnt move. I throw it hard too. about as hard as my fastball. I heard of sticking a softball between your fingers while watching tv?

oh im only 15.[/quote]

This is exactly what my coach has told me.
I never tried to pick it up, but another pitcher on our staff inquired if the coach would help him learn it. He said thats also why many dont throw the splitter nowadays.

Fellers,

When i pitched in college i never had a changeup, just a FB and sidearm curve. I finally was able to get a forkball to work as my changeup during my senior year. I did use a softball to help condition my fingers to spread easily. You could see a different rotation on the ball and it would really drop off the table at the end. Now i throw about 20 mph slower than college but i can still get some action from the forkball.

At no time did my arm ever hurt throwing the forkball, i always used the same arm action as the fastball. The only time i ever even iced my arm was when i started throwing sliders my junior year in college.

not always going to cause the injuries, but there is a good chance. Everyones arms react differently to the extra stress.

The “hurting the arm” thing goes back to when Roger Craig first started having guys throw Mr. Splitty…so first off it’s a split finger myth…they used to talk about tendonitis in the forearm/fingers. Tendonitis I guess can happen if it’s something you throw to excess…I wouldn’t expect it to happen in High School though…pay close attention to mlb guys you see throw it and the splitter…many times it is how they glove the ball between pitches, you’ll see them jam that sucker as deep as possible before their wind-up because if they spend time doing it in their wind-up it’ll give the pitch away. I have a kid who I’ve known and worked with since he was 10 (He’s a Senior now…so 8 years and his entire adolesence), he has thrown a forkball since he was 12 and had excellent success with it. I consider it great alternative to the folks that don’t want little junior throwing a curve too early as it is a fastball varient.

whats the difference between a splitter and forkball?

finger spread, it’s 2 seam, then splitter, then fork as you spread your fingers in increments.

SPLITTER is a fastball, a split fingered fastball. And it is much more deceptive than a forkball.

A FORKBALL is in now way a fastball, its an offspeed pitch, occasionally people will use that in place of a curve or slider

Thats basically it…

"its an offspeed pitch"
So is a change, but it’s still a fastball varient.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]"its an offspeed pitch"
So is a change, but it’s still a fastball varient.[/quote]

…ok, i never said it wasn’t…ao your point would be…what?

“A FORKBALL is in now way a fastball”

you said this. Just saying… the fork is out of the fastball family

i use to throw a forkball. dont see it causing injury though, because the release(even when flicking downward) is soft. i use to throw it at 3/4 arm slot and the ball would roll off my middle finger and go straight down. it was by far the hardest and nastiest pitch ive ever thrown. i dont use it anymore because even thought it broke like that it was also the easiest pitch to hang, and when you hang a forkball…well damn

[quote=“jdfromfla”]“A FORKBALL is in now way a fastball”

you said this. Just saying… the fork is out of the fastball family[/quote]

I look at it like this…

…if its not a pitch that you would throw if your trying to throw it past someone, its not a damn fastball. A split can in some cases be snuck by you, but would you ever try to throw a forkball past a batter??? NO, bcuz they are not fast at all, thus, not a fastball

You have 4 families of pitches, fastballs and varients (Includes sinkers, cutters, splitty, forks and the change), supinated pitches (Slider, curve) pronated pitches (Screwgie) and knuckle balls.
I don’t see any need to cuss or be frustrated. I didn’t make this distinction am just commenting on them…it has to do with how the ball is thrown…sorry you disagree but to avoid confusion I interjected.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]You have 4 families of pitches, fastballs and varients (Includes sinkers, cutters, splitty, forks and the change), supinated pitches (Slider, curve) pronated pitches (Screwgie) and knuckle balls.
I don’t see any need to cuss or be frustrated. I didn’t make this distinction am just commenting on them…it has to do with how the ball is thrown…sorry you disagree but to avoid confusion I interjected.[/quote]

I didnt cuss. I said “damn”. Damn is not a curse word. Not a real curse word

Well I won’t argue whether your profanity was a cuss word or not…Lets just move on eh?
You said your piece I’ve said mine now we can have milk and cookies and talk more pitching. :wink:

agreed, the forkball can be nasty.
I dont throw a splitter, I tired, just couldnt get it to fall “off the table” as they say…Ive also hung my fair share of forkballs.
Id say now, about 75% of my forkballs are on, the other 25% havent landed yet.

though, over the last 4 years Ive changed my grip and delivery and throw, or attempt to throw, a fork-knuckle. basically a fork grip, with very lil, if any spin…its very hard to control. Ive hit umpires, batters and even the catchers mask. when the breeze catches a seam at that speed you can get an instant 12inch break, in any direction. so I kinda treat it like an eephus til i can master it.