Throwing the changeup

I’ve been trying to get the change up down since i can remember, but I still can’t become consistent with it, my main problem is that several coaches keep changing my grip on it it seems, every few days, I’ve been told to keep a loose wrist, but sometimes i find that it contributes to me elevating the pitch, I’ve also read articles online that say to have a stiff wrist, so basically i’m confused in this matter and need help, can someone give me real advice on how to throw it so I can figure it out and add it to my arsenal.

Thanks

[quote=“Packerfreek”]I’ve been trying to get the change up down since i can remember, but I still can’t become consistent with it, my main problem is that several coaches keep changing my grip on it it seems, every few days, I’ve been told to keep a loose wrist, but sometimes i find that it contributes to me elevating the pitch, I’ve also read articles online that say to have a stiff wrist, so basically i’m confused in this matter and need help, can someone give me real advice on how to throw it so I can figure it out and add it to my arsenal.

Thanks[/quote]

well really. go to this website: http://www.thecompletepitcher.com It’ll show u the other change up grips. basically, just throw it like a fastball, and don’t change anything, except for taking a little bit off.

I encourage starting with a basic three finger grip on the ball, not choking it, and just throw it like a fastball. The other thing I teach, since most kids slow their arm down, I just call it a three finger fastball rather than a change up. When pitchers think change up they subconciously slow down their arm, so I figured I’d try calling it a three finger fastball.

Once you get good at a simple three finger change, experiment with moving your fingers around a bit. You can circle it a bit, or try different pressure with your middle finger. There’s no right way to throw a change up. Also, long tossing with the change is a great way to get the feel for the proper arm speed.

Great idea! I like it.

Good use of a drill to resolve a specific issue.