Throwing Schedule

I am a 13u pitcher and want to add a little speed to my pitches. I throw about a 60 mph fastball and also throw a curve and slider. I practice/ play 4-5 times a week and was wondering if I should throw extra or let my arm rest on off days… ?

Personally I throw everyday unless my arm is extremely sore, even if its for 15 minutes. In the book “Living On the Black” Tom Glavine said after being drafted he had arm problems and velocity problems. The Braves sent their top pitching coach who had Tom throw everyday for 2 weeks straight, the result was a stronger arm and his arm pain going away. Might not be the best idea since your so young, hopefully someone else can contribute.

I don’t see anything wrong with throwing every day for about 15 or 20 minutes, just playing catch and not overdoing it. Throwing every day will indeed build up arm strength. Later on you can incorporate or another of your pitches. :slight_smile:

Throw everyday. At 13, IMO, you should focus on developing the fastball first and foremost. Change up second, and curve ball or slider third.

Also at 13, I see no reason to have a curve ball and slider, with no change up.

"Throw everyday. At 13, IMO, you should focus on developing the fastball first and foremost. Change up second, and curve ball or slider third.

Also at 13, I see no reason to have a curve ball and slider, with no change up."

Amen.
While it is easy to get young guys out with an average curve or slider you will be much better served in the long run developing a good fastball/change combo that you can locate. One of the things I like about my sons travel team is they only have them throw FB and change in tournaments until they are seniors in high school. Forces you to figure out how to locate and change speed.

Thank You and yes I have been working on my change just working on accuracy with it, can’t quite fully command it yet.

If your working on the change, Keep it up. Alter your grip until you find a comfortable one that you can accurately throw.

I have been working on my changeup a lot and can now throw it consistently in games. Thank you for your help and tips. :slight_smile:

Any suggestions for a throwing program for a 14U team? How long off should the pitchers stay off the mound? Any weighted ball programs out there?