Throwing low

Today while i was throwing… and pitching sorta. I had marked out a strike zone on a piece of ply wood and was working from bout 37-40 feet(didnt have anymore room) and while i was pitching I kept throwing it down in the strike zone… which is about at my knees…

So what can i do elevate my pitches???

Thank you
Greg

Don’t.

Hitters want you to bring it up, oh yah…give em something over the plate belt high and they’ll love you. You don’t want hitters to love you…you want them to think bad things about you…you want them not to want you around…Keeping the ball low means you will get to stay in the game longer, mom and dad will be proud of you…your girlfriend will brag about you…ball up means bad…bad bad. Stay away from ball up, keep working on ball down.
Have fun!

[quote=“greg516”]Today while i was throwing… and pitching sorta. I had marked out a strike zone on a piece of ply wood and was working from bout 37-40 feet(didnt have anymore room) and while i was pitching I kept throwing it down in the strike zone… which is about at my knees…

So what can i do elevate my pitches???

Thank you
Greg[/quote]

First, working down in the zone is an excelllent place to start. It’s easier to move from low to high, and typically you’ll be more successful keeping the ball low. However, its hard to know whether you’re actually down in the zone or in the dirt seeing as how you’re only 40 feet away. This is too close for any kind of judgment based on results of the pitch.

Second, it also helps to have another person there to give feedback on what they see at the other end of the pitch. Its always different from that perspective than from the mound. But I understand that sometimes its hard to find someone else when you want to go, and other times you just want to work on things by yourself. So:

Third, back up to your normal distance (whether 46.6 for LL, 54 for Pony and Koufax 13’s, or 60.6 for everything else) and throw to a target that is of the proper height for a strike zone at that distance. If you don’t have the opportunity to do this full length throwing, don’t worry about where the ball is going. Work on becoming mechanically correct and the accuracy should follow.

If you truly are having trouble spotting the ball, consider this. There are a ton of things that can create the inability to put the ball where you want to. If anyone gives you any other advice before seeing film of you, be skeptical of its worth. Most of the knowledgeable posters on this site won’t touch this question until they’ve seen some film of you, so your next job is to get a vid camera out there and shoot yourself pitching. Front side and catchers perspective are usually the minimum to really get a sense of what you do when you throw.

THEN come back and ask for input. Be thoughtful in your consideration of the input, as most of us try to be thoughtful in our critique. I’m sure you’ll gain at the very least a better perspective of your craft, and might learn a thing or two that will help you become a better, more consistent spot-hitting pitcher.

Good luck, have fun!

The Hose

Well, To keep your mechanics “dailed in” throw a 60’6" (if that’s your age distance–always. “when your pitching-- not just throwing! Reach forward with your hand (with the ball) stretch toward the catcher, snap it off, complete your pitch. Hand forward"toward the catcher” reach out. Snap it off means “release and snap the towel”. Complete the pitch means " slap the knee and get parallel to the ground, EYES FORWARD!
Bring the follow leg around and down.