Throwing inside and outside consistently

obviously any pitcher who can do this on a consistent basis pair along with some offspeed is going to be successful. I’m a lefty and have always lived on the outside corner but struggled a little with throwing inside. I’ve heard from many people that all of your control comes from the wrist action and that the difference between inside and outside is very slight.

Is this the case and how do you work on this?

The difference between inside and outside is very slight. All it may be is about a half an inch of difference right to left of hand positioning at release point. Too many pitchers try to make a huge adjustment in their delivery when they have to understand how small an adjustment is necessary. To get better command you actually have to pitch. Actually throwing or pitching a baseball is still the best way to become a better pitcher. Not enough people actually throw often enough to ensure better command. I’d rather have somebody throw 30-35 pitches more often than have them throw 70 pitches one time a week.

So you place pitches by just hand movement? My old instructor has always told me to either put my heel on the mound and the toes off to throw outside (to a righty) and put my toes on the mound and heel off to throw inside (to a righty). Just how do you locate pitches?

All hand positioning out front is how I’ve been taught and how I do it when I pitch. Think very very very slight adjustment of hand extension out front. Nothing else has to be changed.

So when your releasing the ball?

the ability to throw in and out comes from developing touch in the throwing hand fingertis and thumb. you do not change your mechanics. the dodgers will have their pitchers set up with their hips facing the inside or outside part of the plate so you could try that. after that it’s practice and sorry to say, some genetics but i think it’s true.

nobody worked any harder than ankiel for the cardinals and it just didn’t happen.

every time you have a catch throw with a purpose even if your just tossing go inside, outside, inside, outside to your target. i had the same problem as you as a lefty i rarely ever went inside because i simply couldnt effectively so i just started throwing inside to a righty every time i even tossed. it helps, its all muscle memory

I agree. Actually I never really thought about it in these terms. I always preach target execution, which is a visualization thing. Ultimately a guy does have to adjust. My money would have you adjust as Hammer has put it. But not in a concious “I’m doing this”, sort of way but in an automatic…target here throw here kind of way…let the body adjust without over thinking. My opinion is that if you have issues with coming in it has nothing to do phyiscally with you but in your mind…work specifically on it and get some confidence…so what if you bounce a couple off a few guys…they likely deserved it anyway. :smiley:

ok thanks everybody. yea i know i should be throwin with a purpose every time i throw( my dad tells me this all the time) and i havent been doing that much in a while so i really need to work on that.

[quote=“dusty delso”]the ability to throw in and out comes from developing touch in the throwing hand fingertis and thumb. you do not change your mechanics. the dodgers will have their pitchers set up with their hips facing the inside or outside part of the plate so you could try that. after that it’s practice and sorry to say, some genetics but i think it’s true.

nobody worked any harder than ankiel for the cardinals and it just didn’t happen.[/quote]

Dusty, about the hips. Is there a website with that info? I would really like to look into it. Thanks.