Throwing in below freezing temps

Do you guys recommend throwing in sub freezing temperatures? I did the other day and nothing seemed to be effected by it. Plus we are putting up a net outside that i can throw to, and it is on our lane, so i can clear out the snow. I wore three under armors last time which seemed to keep me pretty warm in the 19 degree weather. Just making sure this is alright, and i won’t hurt my arm or anything.

I have always been told not to throw under 50, good thing too since I don’t like the cold.

See this blog from Steven Ellis…

7 Baseball Pitching Tips For Those Who Long Toss In Cold Weather

I grew up in the Northeast where winters and cold weather can really put a hamper on one’s pitching training, long tossing, off-season throwing and bullpens. For practices and general throwing, I tended to rely on 30 degrees or less, go inside … 30 degrees or more, you can go outside.

I suggest 30 degrees because when you’re throwing, there’s always some element of your body that’s exposed. It’s mostly your throwing hand and your face, so it’s important not to expose those parts of your body (especially your hand) to below freezing temps for too long.

However, performance gear has come a long way in the past 5 years so that with a little Under Armour Cold Gear (top and bottoms), you should be perfectly OK for a 20-45 minute throwing session. With your upper body clothing, the tighter the fit, the better because loose long sleeve shirts, sweatshirts and jackets cause “drag” in the air, which can actually slow down your arm and be counter productive.

Here are 7 baseball pitching tips to consider when throwing in cold weather:

1. You want to take care of your hands, especially your throwing hand. So I recommend using a heavy-duty moisturizer to prevent the cold from cracking your skin on your throwing hand on those really cold days. Maybe you don’t have a problem with this, but it’s worth considering if you’ve got dry hands already.

2. Don’t wear a jacket when you throw. Wear it to warmup. But take it off when you’re doing your 10-30 minutes of throwing. You can put it back on later.

3. If you’re not sweating before you start throwing, you’re not warmed up well enough. I know that in cold weather it’s harder to work up a sweat. But that just means you have to work harder/longer to warm up.

4. Wear a hat (snow hat) to keep your head warm. If you’re head’s warm, it’s easier to warm up and stay warm throughout your throwing session.

5. If you’re throwing a bullpen, take it very easy to start out. Get a good feel for your pitches first (and, again, get a good sweat going) before you unleash your best stuff.

6. When you’re done with your throwing, the sooner you can change your shirt, put on a jacket, put on winter gloves, and then eventually take a warm shower, the better. I always recommend bringing a second, dry shirt to change into when you’re sweating in cold weather. If you’re going to be standing around, wear gloves (or thinner batting gloves) to protect your hands.

7. Find a high school gym or a college gym to throw in instead. If you’ve got access to this resource, it can be a better option than throwing inside – especially in snow and on those days when it’s too cold to throw outside.

Thanks gettingthere. I do most of that except sweating before i start. Although i do foam rolling, arm circles, and some band work for arm before i throw so i am feeling pretty good by the time i start to actually throw. Will keep those tips in mind though. Also i may be able to throw in our school gym soon. I asked our coach, and i think he can get me some time.

School gym would be huge. Safety tip for the day…if you throw a pen, please have whoever is catching you wear a mask (at least). The lights in gymnasiums can be less than ideal.

yeah, to start out we will just be long tossing, but will eventually start throwing pens. High school coach will be there watching too. :smiley: We are in need of pitchers.

Excellent. Go get 'em and show your coach that you’re the pitcher he was looking for.

Ditto!

Oh boy, cold weather. Wyoming is known for it (thus no HS baseball), we do have Legion which I can still play although I have graduated (not 19 yet).

Anyways up here at 7,000 feet about sea level we not only have cold weather but very thin air. Our town doesn’t ever plow the streets or anything like that so we don’t really have anywhere to throw a lot (although I have taken batting practice in -10 with a wooden bat, OUCH!).

So pretty much, we have to throw at the rec center since the HS would throw a fit if anyone threw a baseball on their precious basketball floor.

Make sure your catcher has a mask, gym lighting sucks and in our rec center there is a lot of white that will screw with your perception of the ball. Make sure there aren’t a lot of people in the gym. For the most part I’ve never been told not to throw in the gym aside from one anti-baseball woman who just won’t even allow baseballs in the gym if she’s on duty.

Keep at it, winter work can really pay off.

So, does the ball travel really well in the thin Wyoming air? And -10 batting, you are a real trooper.

I think it would probably be alright as long as you keep your arm warm.
When pitching, the arm needs to be kept warm and loose.
Keep your arm and body warm, and you should be fine.

yeah i have been throwing in the gym and some in a heated shed, so i haven’t had to throw outside yet. I will be careful if i have to for some reason.

Depends on which way the field is facing and where in Wyoming. Most of the fields in my corner of the state are faced so the wind comes in and the wind blows very strong in Wyoming. On our field we we are by a hill that tunnels the wind through right field so I have a tough time as a left handed hitter trying to get anything to go too far to my pull side, that’s probably why I hit the ball further the opposite field after all of these years.

Some fields the wind is blowing outward and others out in the more central part by the continental divide have some serious whirling winds. I remember seeing one of my team mates when we played in a town called Rawlins, WY and he had wrecked a ball to left field and the wind blew it all the way to right field and into the fence. We once had a game where 6 out of our 9 batters would have had a home run on any other field (same field in Rawlins) but the wind was coming in so strong they were all fly outs.

bless everyone who cares enough about this game to practice in terrible conditions. it is tough when the weather won’t cooperate