Throwing high and outside

im a RHP

my mechs off a mound are quite good, repeatable… on flatground theyre like :shock: :?

but anyways, off the mound on occasion 1/10 pitches will go up and away to a LHB

what causes this other than opening early because i know thats not an issue at this point in time

sorry if i come off arrogant im in a bit of a bad mood 8)

I’ve seen this happen many times in the major leagues. The pitcher’s first offering is high and outside. Sometimes it even goes back to the screen. Okay, so it’s ball one, not what you wanted, but as long as there’s nobody on base I see no reason to worry.
You don’t specify what kind of pitching dellivery you have, but if—as I suspect—you throw “over the top”, straight overhand, you’re more likely to go up and away with that first pitch than if you drop down some, to a 3/4 or closer to sidearm angle. And one thing I would suggest—DON’T start off with a fast ball, because that’s the kind of pitch that will get away from you more than anything else. Try a breaking pitch, such as a slider or a knuckle-curve. It’s very likely that the batter will be caught off balance by such a pitch.
And above all—relax. You have a good catcher who can help you decided what pitches to throw that you can use. Take advantage of this. 8)

i throw from about 40 degrees higher than sidearm

Sometimes … not all the time, control problems can be due to how and where your stride foot is landing. Take for example our pitcher below and his control problems. Our pitcher in this example is a RHP. For a LHP, simply reverse the picture.

Coach B.

When I miss high its usually because my arm is not getting around fast enough, so as a result, I release the ball too far back, or too high, or too soon, or whatever it would be called lol and my pitch winds up high. For me personally, it usually happens when I get tired because my arm slows down and my body’s still moving at the same speed so my arm gets up a split second too late and my release point becomes a little too high.

Remember release point is everything, if the ball’s high than you’re releasing the ball too high.

I can’t seem to find an adjustment to make for myself yet simply because it only happens when I’m tired so I don’t want to go and change something about my mechanics because they work fine when I’m not tired, instead I just have to get in better shape, I think lol.

One suggestion that this coach I had once made that made a lot of sense was to start my arm a split split split second sooner than I was that way it has that split second longer to get up and throw from the right release point. Make sense? I suppose you could also try speeding your arm up? :? I guess…

But, being that it only happens 1 out of 10 pitches, I’d say to just work on repeating the right release point. Make sure you release the ball at the same place every pitch. Maybe 1 out of 10 pitches you’re overthrowing, or 1 out of 10 you’re getting lazy with your arm on that pitch maybe.

I’m not an expert so hopefully that makes some sense and can help a little bit. Good luck.

velocityaddict,

I like what Coach Baker had to say. One other thing to keep in mind is that maybe the problem is something a little bit simpler. By the way of your post, it sounds like you only have this problem with left-handed batters. I wonder if part of the issue may be mental in that you are afraid you might hit the left-handed batter or more aware of their presence than you are with a right-hand batter. Many people have this situation because of the unique nature of the problem. If you think this may be the case, I might suggest working on some mental exercises that will block out any distractions. In practice, you should not see any difference between a left hand or right hand batter. Here, is something that may be useful to you:

Best,
Jack Elliott

http://www.baseballtrainingtechniques.com/Baseball-Pitching-Mind-Games.html

Best,
Jack Elliott

www.baseballtrainingtechniques.com

not following through properly is ur problem

yeah both make surer to follow through with whole body and land foot right

Coach - Is where the foot is landing more of a symptom or a cause? I’m no expert but when my guys are missing the landing it’s usually because their glove hand not pointed at the target. Thanks!!

I’m going to answer your question(s) with respect to a right-handed pitcher (RHP). If you’d like me to answer your question(s) for a left-handed pitcher (LHP), please advise me so. Lefties are a little different to coach on this subject.

Before I begin, let me state that the best possible discipline for the stride leg and the stride foot’s posture after landing … is to plant the stride foot down on a straight line from the instep of the pivot foot that’s against the rubber… directly to the plate. For example, take a look at our picture below and you’ll see what I mean.

This posture of the stride foot allows everything else along the glove side of the body to …literally MOVE OUT OF THE WAY… as the pitching side of the body starts to come around and deliver.

I could mention other things related to the stride foot/leg and a pitcher’s performance like proper hip, torso, shoulder exchanges …etc… but that would be too involved for this portion of my concentrating on the discipline of the stride foot and your basic question(s).

So, what are some of the things that won’t or even can’t support the above.
HOLE IN FRONT OF THE RUBBER

A hole dug into the front of the pitcher’s rubber will force the pivot foot’s toe down.
When the pivot foot’s toe is pointing down, it invariably shifts the body’s weight.
This shifting process occurs during the leg lift – thus leaning the body to the glove side.
When progressing forward, this weight shift will force the stride leg to land shallow.
By landing shallow, the stride foot lands off center and heavily towards the 3rd baseline.
The pitcher will ALWAYS throw across himself/herself.
Pitchers who throw across themselves usually have control problems side to side.
Overcompensation with the upper body only usually finds control problems up and down

TOO HIGH LEG LIFT

Some youngster try to copy a high leg lift like the pro’s
A high leg left requires a strong sense of balance and an almost perfect surface to work off
Invariably the high leg left is either abruptly abandoned during the forward delivery phase or committed totally which stomps the stride foot in place thus jarring the rest of the body. In both cases, an unusual break in tempo accompanies a choppy delivery. Lower back pain follows if not corrected.

PIVOT FOOT PUSHING OFF THE RUBBER

Most …not all, pitchers find in the early stages of their careers that pushing off … rushes them.
A preferred method during the early stages of training, would be for the pivot foot to remain flat during the initial stages of the pitcher’s motion. As the pitcher’s forward motion starts to drive forward the pivot foot should collapse on the instep, letting the body’s forward motion pull it off the rubber. By dong so, the tension relief and alignment of the leg, lower back, hip, midsection, shoulder, neck and arm muscles on the pitcher’s throwing side are greatly enhanced.

Coach B.

I’ll keep a better eye on that, thanks!

never put thoiught into that